Chimney cleaning time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wg_bent

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Poughkeepsie, NY
This is the first year I've had my stove, and I'll need to clean the chimney liner. I have a Duravent liner that's about 30' long. I also have an Osburn insert that I DON'T want to remove, so here's my plan...Let me know if it's about right.

I plan to remove the secondary burn tubes that are held in place with cotter pins. Then the firebricks and insulation should just drop down into the firebox and be easily removed.

Then I'll push a brush down the chimney from above pushing the ash and creosote into the firebox. followed by cleanup via shop vac.

Is this a good plan or should I do something different?

Warren said:
This is the first year I've had my stove, and I'll need to clean the chimney liner. I have a Duravent liner that's about 30' long. I also have an Osburn insert that I DON'T want to remove, so here's my plan...Let me know if it's about right.

I plan to remove the secondary burn tubes that are held in place with cotter pins. Then the firebricks and insulation should just drop down into the firebox and be easily removed.

Then I'll push a brush down the chimney from above pushing the ash and creosote into the firebox. followed by cleanup via shop vac.

Sounds right . I did the same thing with my P.E. Summit. I took out the pin on the secondary burn baffle / popped it out and shut the door . I went up on the roof and ran the brush up and down about 5 times and put the cap back on . Rechecked the roof to flashing to make sure all was fine and then when down to clean out the stove. I ended up with under 1 cup of ash from the pipe clean out from 4 cords of wood burned last winter. ( two story house = about 25 foot of pipe. ) BE VERY CAREFULL ON THE ROOF! , we want you around a little longer brother man .

Roospike said:
Warren said:

Sounds right . I did the same thing with my P.E. Summit. I took out the pin on the secondary burn baffle / popped it out and shut the door . I went up on the roof and ran the brush up and down about 5 times and put the cap back on . Rechecked the roof to flashing to make sure all was fine and then when down to clean out the stove. I ended up with under 1 cup of ash from the pipe clean out from 4 cords of wood burned last winter. ( two story house = about 25 foot of pipe. ) BE VERY CAREFULL ON THE ROOF! , we want you around a little longer brother man .

Thanks Roo...will do...Where did you get your brush?

Warren said:
Roospike said:
Warren said:

Thanks Roo...will do...Where did you get your brush?
I had a brush and the 5 fiberglass poles from my old stove and i went up the first time the brush i had was 8" ! DURRR . 6" pipe i have now. I went to Orschelns farm & home store and picked up the 6" brush for $16.00 .TSC didnt have stove stuff in yet. Some of the big box stores have there stove stuff in now. any and all real wood stoves stores around here are 1.5 hours away .

I bought my poly brush at AceHardware.com. Do a search on Rutland. I got my sticks at Home Depot as they were cheaper (quality and price) but good enough. You get free shipping from ACE if you are willing to pick up at a store near you (if there is one--there was in my case).

Yeah. I just bought a poly brush online from ACE. Thirteen bucks. Cheapest in town and it arrived at the local store the next afternoon.

Menards has them out know, but didn't notice the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.