Chimney cleaning today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eclecticcottage

Minister of Fire
Dec 7, 2011
WNY
Had the hearth shop out to clean the stove and chimney today. My opinion of the hearth shop is less than stellar (I know where we WONT be buying another stove), but the sweep was great. Showed us how to get the bricks out to clean in the stove in case another starling decides to sweep for us (lol) etc and replaced the door gasket to see if that would solve the dirty glass by the handle problem. In taking a look at the flue, he said he doesn't see any evidence of a chimney fire. So our draft issue seems to be just that-a draft issue. Could have been related to the door problem, we'll see-I know for sure we're not done burning for the season. We decided not to wait on the cleaning until the summer mainly because of an install issue (another thread altogether) so we'll see how it burns now. But at least now we've had someone take a look and verify we have no evidence of a chimney fire, no glaze, no puffy stuff.

Good news. Now you are ready for a good summer and to start a new burning season. Peace of mind is a good thing.

It's always good to know you have a clean chimney. I sweep mine a couple of times during the burning season when I go up to clean the screen in the cap and can see that there's more than about 1/2" built up. You get a sense after a while when it needs it by how you've been burning the stove and how wet or dry your wood is.

Status
Not open for further replies.