Chimney Identification Required

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I am pretty sure this is an A type chimney. I would like someone with more experience to verify before telling home owner it has to be replaced.

Thanks for your assistance :)
IMG_5185.JPG IMG_5186.JPG

Roger Frost

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't recognize it, but the chimney looks entirely air-cooled. Is it? Is it double or triple-wall inside?
Air cooled is typically rated at 1700º protection, not class A 2100ºHT. It's typically used on ZC fireplaces. The cap also seems wrong, how does it prevent water intrusion from the rain down the air jacket? And it looks like a lot of room air would convect to outdoors representing a significant room heat loss.

MetalFab TempGuard?? https://www.mtlfab.com/index.php?pid=224&aid=573&pg=air-cooled+temp/guard+chimney+pipe+&+fittings