chimney installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Winter.is.coming

Aug 25, 2022
Greece
Hello to everybody ! I want to install an ironcast kitchen wood stove 9.5 kw with 5 inch flue pipe in my home that it have a kitchen also. The best place to be fit as per houses place is almost to center of home.
The roof is wooden with tiles tringle shape.

Because i dont want to drill the top of the roof just for safety reasons (maybe wood burn because i will not notice it). I want to pass the pipes in the way i show in attachment.

Please let me know what if this option is viable if not which is the maximum horizontal lenght i can have in order to avoid gas in home ? The total pipe height must be 12.5 feet in order to be 2 feet above the roof (the outside side of chimney will be insulated if order to avoid cold air).

Notice if i increace flue dimension from 5 to 6 inch this may boost the chimney draw flaw or reduce it ? Also if i place a rotary chimney cowl in the top or chimney this will help to draw better or not ? I want to install secondary combustion to my stove i dont know if this affects this because this mill draw air all the time and 1. this keep the chimney cool and 2. you cant semi close the exchaust outpout in order secondary combustion to occur.

What are your thoughts?

Best regards

plan.jpg

Even 12 feet straight up is not enough to make sufficient draft, let alone adding in a 16ft horizontal run. This won't work

What are the requirements of the stove, most stoves require at least 15 ft and that is without any horizontal. If you don't want to go thru the roof the stove will most likely need to be on an exterior wall and even then may not have enough draft.

Smoke does not travel well horizontally. Shortening it to 7.5' would help, but only if the stove pipe is at an uphill angle toward the chimney. The minimum is 1/4" per ft. incline, but in this case, 1" per ft. would be better

Most (not all) manufacturers have a 15 ft minimum height, BUT, they suggest to add one (or two?) ft of height for each elbow and each ft of horizontal run.
In your case of a 7.5' horizontal run and 2 elbows, that should add about 10 ft. So you'd end up with 25 ft.
And even then, for such a long horizontal run, I'm not sure it's going to work.

To avoid wood/roof fires, the chimney has to be installed with stove pipe until a ceiling, then class A chimney pipe, and using proper boxes when going through floors/roofs. And to keep all clearances to all combustibles.
Many, many homes have that, and it's safe.

The question is whether there is a code in Greece enforcing such things, whether you can get the parts, or whether there are installers that actually know what they are doing.

If you have building inspectors in your town, ask them for advice.

Smoke does not travel well horizontally. Shortening it to 7.5' would help, but only if the stove pipe is at an uphill angle toward the chimney. The minimum is 1/4" per ft. incline, but in this case, 1" per ft. would be better
Thank you very much for that i will add a 45 degree pipe and go diagonally i think that would help avoid corner pipe also and ecourage flow of the gas.

In my city you get advice from people sell these parts but the most i asked are not properly informed.I seek for profesional but there are very few doing this job and so i will do it my self but i just ask forums experience on these things so i have a better idea what i am doing!

Please does someone knows if i increase the pipes by 1 inch ( i have 5 inch now) and go to 6 inch dumper pipes what are the advantages and what are the disadvantages doing that?

Because i have a stove now but it wont last forever and as i see all new stoves are having 6 inch pipes so in order to avoid buyiong again new pipes can i place now 6 inch ?

REgards