Chimney liner installed wrong direction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
so that installer guy was a no show. From Monday he postponed it to Tuesday and from Tuesday he postponed it to next Tuesday. I have a feeling he just wont do it. I wonder if I am just stuck with an upside down liner or I can still use it the way it is. Even though SBI people said there is no issue using the liner upside down over the phone but they did not want to confirm it on the email and gave me a politically correct answer and left it all on the installer.

In theory I would do it myself but I have health problems right now and I can't really lift weights let alone climb up the roof and lift liner there. I might be able to do it in the summer, hopefully I feel better by then. I just wish to be able to use it least once before the winter ends.

This was the reply I received from SBI if anyone interested.

Hello,
The liner's are directional.
The sticker and the manual is correct.
We sale this product since many years and never got a claim to replace a liner.
The reason the liner as a direction is that the fold is overlapping.
So if the liner is on the right side the water or creosote will leak freely down.
if it is upside down it will not leak as good.
Now do you need to reverse it? probably.
The question is really for your installer.
The manufacturer will never say that you can install something differently then what the manual is saying.
Never got a case where someone said they faced a problem related to this but this doesn't mean that it is not important.
Thank you.

so that installer guy was a no show. From Monday he postponed it to Tuesday and from Tuesday he postponed it to next Tuesday. I have a feeling he just wont do it. I wonder if I am just stuck with an upside down liner or I can still use it the way it is. Even though SBI people said there is no issue using the liner upside down over the phone but they did not want to confirm it on the email and gave me a politically correct answer and left it all on the installer.

In theory I would do it myself but I have health problems right now and I can't really lift weights let alone climb up the roof and lift liner there. I might be able to do it in the summer, hopefully I feel better by then. I just wish to be able to use it least once before the winter ends.

This was the reply I received from SBI if anyone interested.

Hello,
The liner's are directional.
The sticker and the manual is correct.
We sale this product since many years and never got a claim to replace a liner.
The reason the liner as a direction is that the fold is overlapping.
So if the liner is on the right side the water or creosote will leak freely down.
if it is upside down it will not leak as good.
Now do you need to reverse it? probably.
The question is really for your installer.
The manufacturer will never say that you can install something differently then what the manual is saying.
Never got a case where someone said they faced a problem related to this but this doesn't mean that it is not important.
Thank you.
The liner direction is not a problem at all. The lack of insulation is

Bholler why direction is not a problem in this. I know you said it before but why never got explained. Really curious to know your thought process and reasoning behind it.

I am going to take care of the insulation as well. I might just hire someone else to do this job and pay him for the insulation and have him revert it as well. This guy most defiantly does not care.

The liner direction is not a problem at all. The lack of insulation is

Bholler why direction is not a problem in this. I know you said it before but why never got explained. Really curious to know your thought process and reasoning behind it.

I am going to take care of the insulation as well. I might just hire someone else to do this job and pay him for the insulation and have him revert it as well. This guy most defiantly does not care.
Because after many years of working on liners like yours I know that the direction doesn't matter. I have never seen creosote leak out of any of the seams on that type. And the vast majority of manufacturers of liners identical to yours say it is not directional.

Reactions: tathspts