Chimney liner installed wrong direction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Its crazy how more and more experts know less and less.
People just don’t care anymore. You HAVE to educate yourself, or things are gonna go bad. If you can find honest help, consider yourself lucky and let them know it often. I have an awesome chimney guy, if I have a small problem or concern, he stops by when he’s in the area, gives me his advise, and then leaves with no charge. That’s after we shoot the chit for a half hour. He’s never done me wrong. He understands that I have a fire in a box in my living room, and is glad I have questions/concerns. Take it from a guy who had a fire, a big one, EDUCATE yourself! Don’t be afraid to call people out if you have concerns. Your paying THEM! Shotty work is no longer accepted in this household, and I’m not shy about it. And if they bring help that looks like a heroin addict, keep on moving! Just my rant and advice

Reactions: AlbergSteve
People just don’t care anymore. You HAVE to educate yourself, or things are gonna go bad. If you can find honest help, consider yourself lucky and let them know it often. I have an awesome chimney guy, if I have a small problem or concern, he stops by when he’s in the area, gives me his advise, and then leaves with no charge. That’s after we shoot the chit for a half hour. He’s never done me wrong. He understands that I have a fire in a box in my living room, and is glad I have questions/concerns. Take it from a guy who had a fire, a big one, EDUCATE yourself! Don’t be afraid to call people out if you have concerns. Your paying THEM! Shotty work is no longer accepted in this household, and I’m not shy about it. And if they bring help that looks like a heroin addict, keep on moving! Just my rant and advice
I second that. Excently said.

Plenty of people still care. I talk to lots of others in the field and many of us do an excellent job. The problem is many people are price shopping and doing it right costs more. I can't tell you how many times we have given a quote and been told it was way to high only to be called back a year or two later to fix the mess made by the cheap guy.

I will talk to installer about insulation with the installer if shows up Monday. I don't mind paying couple 100 extra as long as it is done right. Biggest problem I seem to have is convincing installer in doing what I want them to do. His response usually is I have been doing this for years and we have never done this or that and this is correct way of doing things around here. Ignoring almost everything that is said in the manuals.

Maybe they cut corner for potential future business? I mean who else will I call if chit does not work? Of-course the guy who installed it. But maybe that's just my skeptical mind talking.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, i have never heard a good story from anyone with a liner that is not insulated. If you read this forum, almost every issue listed is caused by wet wood, and a liner that is not insulated. I agree with bholler on this one. This man knows what he’s talking about. Shell out the extra couple of hundred bucks, you’ll sleep better at night and your stove will perform a lot better.

I will talk to installer about insulation with the installer if shows up Monday. I don't mind paying couple 100 extra as long as it is done right. Biggest problem I seem to have is convincing installer in doing what I want them to do. His response usually is I have been doing this for years and we have never done this or that and this is correct way of doing things around here. Ignoring almost everything that is said in the manuals.

Maybe they cut corner for potential future business? I mean who else will I call if chit does not work? Of-course the guy who installed it. But maybe that's just my skeptical mind talking.
You need to talk to him ahead of time about insulation. If you don't he won't have any with him and it will be a wasted trip for him costing him money. That will make him far less likely to be cooperative. And if he doesn't want to insulate you need to have the codes available to show him why it needs to be done.

good point, although I am not sure I can show him such codes. I don't think here in Montreal we have such a code by city or someone else. Are you referring to some other type of codes by any chance?

I will tell him about bringing insulation, I am still waiting for his reply on my text to what time is he going to come on monday.

You need to talk to him ahead of time about insulation. If you don't he won't have any with him and it will be a wasted trip for him costing him money. That will make him far less likely to be cooperative. And if he doesn't want to insulate you need to have the codes available to show him why it needs to be done.

good point, although I am not sure I can show him such codes. I don't think here in Montreal we have such a code by city or someone else. Are you referring to some other type of codes by any chance?

I will tell him about bringing insulation, I am still waiting for his reply on my text to what time is he going to come on monday.
Canada has national codes as well and I know the clearance requirements and insulation requirements are very similar to ours. But I do not have a link to Canadian codes

Reactions: tathspts
Do you know the dimensions of you chimney? Will insulation fit without other work?

Having had an uninsulated liner very similar to the OP's & an insulated liner in our inside chimney I will always opt for the insulation. The improvement in the draft is very noticeable.

Liner insulation requirements are actually all about clearance to combustibles from the out side of the chimney structure. And yes their response is very unprofessional and irresponsible.
Just to clarify for Canadian readers. Does Canada adhere to the same code standards as the US regarding chimney clearances?

Just to clarify for Canadian readers. Does Canada adhere to the same code standards as the US regarding chimney clearances?
No the standards are not the same. But are very similar. I am pretty sure it is a little larger clearance requirement in canada

I have contacted a few people and no one mentioned anything about clearance. I actually don't even know what clearance requirements are. I believe there is no insulation requirements either. At least not in Quebec or else they would have mentioned. Quebec usually is first to follow the codes. Maybe it's not true in all cases.

I know Quebec has higher EPA requirements than some US states I read about. In city of Montreal we are required to install appliances that emit less than 2.5 g/h the stove I got is about 1.5g/h. Other than that I didn't see any requirements from the city about wood burning appliances.

My chimney is about 32 inch wide and stays that way until it hits the terracotta liner on the top. There is about 4-6 feet of terracotta liner. I do not know the dimension of terracotta liner. But I were to guess it at least 6 inch by 10 inch. Not sure if that keeps in the enough clearance requirements?

Here are the clearance requirements if you don't have them you need to insulate.

In addition the liners instructions you linked to are pretty clear about insulation as well

Here are the clearance requirements if you don't have them you need to insulate.
So you have 50 or 12 mm depending upon location of the chimney between the outside of the chimney structure to any flammable material the whole way?

Thanks for posting. Same as US for interior (50mm=2") but less for exterior (12mm= .47")

I am going to have to disagree with this. I dont think its just about the price. I like people when they ask what they are worth and explains what is what.

I see this price argument gets tossed around a lot but I am here to tell you that price doesn't always guarantee the good work. It is all about the person who is doing the job. However I do agree many still care. But at then same time many more don't.

I feel said saying this, but there are a lot of bad apples in contracting world who spoil the name for everyone. Google review has made it worst to find a good guy.

In my experience word of mouth recommendation trumps google review every time. So I suggest getting in the habit of knowing your 80 years old neighbor or any neighbor for that matter. Old way of doing things will always keep working. And google review way of finding help sucks balls.

Plenty of people still care. I talk to lots of others in the field and many of us do an excellent job. The problem is many people are price shopping and doing it right costs more. I can't tell you how many times we have given a quote and been told it was way to high only to be called back a year or two later to fix the mess made by the cheap guy.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
I am going to have to disagree with this. I dont think its just about the price. I like people when they ask what they are worth and explains what is what.

I see this price argument gets tossed around a lot but I am here to tell you that price doesn't always guarantee the good work. It is all about the person who is doing the job. However I do agree many still care. But at then same time many more don't.

I feel said saying this, but there are a lot of bad apples in contracting world who spoil the name for everyone. Google review has made it worst to find a good guy.

In my experience word of mouth recommendation trumps google review every time. So I suggest getting in the habit of knowing your 80 years old neighbor or any neighbor for that matter. Old way of doing things will always keep working. And google review way of finding help sucks balls.
I absolutely agree it isn't allways about price. Some guys just don't care at all and still charge premium prices. And yes word of mouth is the most important thing. We don't advertise at all but still have more work that we can handle.

seems like I meet these requirements with flying colors.

Are you sure? I don't think I have ever seen a chimney around here that has 2" gap between the chimney exterior surface, and combustibles (e.g. framing).

I am sorry but where does it say about exterior surface? If that is the case what is the way of even verifying that on an existing construction without taking the drywall apart?

Also my guess is, once you have installed the chimney liner you would count for that distance from that liner now. But I could be wrong.

Are you sure? I don't think I have ever seen a chimney around here that has 2" gap between the chimney exterior surface, and combustibles (e.g. framing).

I am sorry but where does it say about exterior surface? If that is the case what is the way of even verifying that on an existing construction without taking the drywall apart?
Clearance to combustibles. This includes framing.

Also my guess is, once you have installed the chimney liner you would count for that distance from that liner now. But I could be wrong.

It's there in plain print right up front. Distance between chimney and framing (or combustibles). I.e., between surfaces of each. I.e., exterior of chimney.

Not sure your construction, but looking down the side of the chimney from the attic could tell. Should be able to see a 2" gap all the way down.

If you look it up there is a diagram that makes it very clear. It is about clearance from the outside of the chimney structure to combustibles

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, i have never heard a good story from anyone with a liner that is not insulated. If you read this forum, almost every issue listed is caused by wet wood, and a liner that is not insulated. I agree with bholler on this one. This man knows what he’s talking about. Shell out the extra couple of hundred bucks, you’ll sleep better at night and your stove will perform a lot better.
My last house I ran without a insulated liner and my current house with around a 25ft outside chimney is not insulated. I have never had an issue with draft or getting a fire going. The only issue I have is being able to close the air all the way off and have a fire keep going. Which could be do to that but not a major issue for me as I don't use a primary heat source.