circulator location

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Danny Gosse

Dec 9, 2017
Newfoundland
I have recently added 200 gallons to my existing 300 gal storage.
I currently have one circulator on return to boiler. I am having trouble heating the added storage
& I want to know the correct location for an extra circ to boost circulation?
I was thinking of installing on the return line between the existing circ & the storage tanks.

Hi Danny
How did you plumb the tanks when you added the second tank?
When i plumbed both of my vertical tanks they are plumbed so the hot water goes into the top of the tanks.I have 1 1/2" copper that tees off to tank 2 then drops to 1 1/4" and goes to tank 1
The return is the opposite it comes out of tank 2 with 1 1/4" then switches at the tee for tank 1 to 1 1/2".
I also have a double check valve in the return line.I have added gauges and can watch my storage temps both tanks are within a degree or 2 when charging with the boiler and when the house is draining BTU's during the day.
I only have one pump for the storage it is on the hot side of my boiler and pumps away from my expansion tank.I have a near boiler pump for boiler protection and a separate pump to supply my flat plate heat exchanger,which supply's the house through my underground lines.
Hope that helps
Thomas

Think a diagram or more info is needed. If a circ did the job with 200 gallons it should be good for 300 more. Or however many hundred you'd like to add. Unless the added extra is way far away.

The circulator should be sized to move the amount of GPM the boiler requires to give you full output. The amount of gallons in the system or tank should not change that pumping requirement. Depending on where the tanks are located to one another and the piping connecting them.