Classic bay 1200 or a Harman Accentra

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lineman30

Feeling the Heat
Jul 9, 2010
Northeastern Oklahoma
I currently have a Quadrafire Classic Bay 1200 and have used it for almost 5 seasons. I've been pleased with it but I came across a deal today and not sure which one would be better. I came across a Harman Accentra today for only $600. It's been recently serviced by a tech and come with a ash vac. It still has one year left on a warranty (is a 5 year warranty). It's from a 80 yr old couple who is getting to old to tend to it. I believe It's an 06 model. So whats everyones thoughts? Is the CB 1200 better than the Harman? I have bout 2000 sq ft home to heat and the cb 1200 never really heated like I thought. And what's a CB 1200 worth?

Awesome deal jump on it. The Harman is better than the CB1200 but both are great units. A 5 yr old Harman is around $750 to $1000 in working condition.

Eric

Accentra is rated at 40,000 and the Classic Bay 1200 is rated at 47,300. Both are Input BTU's so if it seems your going backwords. If the Quad isn't keeping you warm you need more BTU's!

IMHO, I'd be looking for something in the 55K to 60K BTU range for 2K sqft of house. Or the cats meow would be a pellet furnace/boiler!

j-takeman said:
Accentra is rated at 40,000 and the Classic Bay 1200 is rated at 47,300. Both are Input BTU's so if it seems your going backwords. If the Quad isn't keeping you warm you need more BTU's!

IMHO, I'd be looking for something in the 55K to 60K BTU range for 2K sqft of house. Or the cats meow would be a pellet furnace/boiler!

Well i might be going backwards...but my CB 1200 manual states 40,000 BTUs. Just wondering which is a better performing stove...but isnt a harman a bottom feeder??

Lineman30 said:
j-takeman said:

Well i might be going backwards...but my CB 1200 manual states 40,000 BTUs. Just wondering which is a better performing stove...but isnt a harman a bottom feeder??

I went with whats listed currently online. I was also looking for efficiency ratings, But didn't get to far. There are variables, but really the difference between them is minimal! IMHO you wound not notice any difference. Bottom feed doesn't effect efficiency AFAIK. If it does??? its also minimal. I'd think the efficiency of the heat exchanger would be most important if anything! More heat in the room and less out the vent would be higher on my list!

Hey the Harman looks prettier!

Again if you want to feel the difference? Go for more horse power. Look at the P68 if a Harman is your got to have unit! You will roast with it!

j-takeman said:
Lineman30 said:
j-takeman said:

I went with whats listed currently online. I was also looking for efficiency ratings, But didn't get to far. There are variables, but really the difference between them is minimal! IMHO you wound not notice any difference. Bottom feed doesn't effect efficiency AFAIK. If it does??? its also minimal. I'd think the efficiency of the heat exchanger would be most important if anything! More heat in the room and less out the vent would be higher on my list!

Hey the Harman looks prettier!

Again if you want to feel the difference? Go for more horse power. Look at the P68 if a Harman is your got to have unit! You will roast with it!

Thats what i was thinking was the heat exchangers....Mine is alum and isnt the harman accentra cast iron??? But for a price of $600 or maybe less i could be a better match. Who knows i'm going to go look at it tomorrow and ponder on it. but as you stated there is much on heat difference...looks.. ya looks better but there are more working parts, cpu stuff on the harman that the CB 1200 so lots to think about. biggest complaint is the fresh air intake how cheesy... Also, got to sell my CB 1200 also.....

I know a lot depends on insulation, windows, and the overall efficiency of your home. But until it got down to about 0* outside, I use the Low heat setting. I run the stove 24/7 and have learned where to put the slide plate and whether to have the blower set on Low or High, depending on outside air temps. IMO running this stove 24/7 is much more efficient than running on the the thermostat. I only run the 1200 in Thermo mode during the shoulders. My house is a 2,180 sq ft Ranch w/ about 14 windows (i think?) Heats it to 76 all season, unless it dips around or below 0*, like I said before.

But...... on another note. Harman makes a great product with more user adjustability. If you can get it for $600 or less, I would jump all over it. Id even be inclined to keep the Quad and have 2 stoves. Nothing says warm and toasty like a 2 stove home.

Overall Harmans look good, but I still get many compliments on my all black, plain Jane CB 1200.

For what its worth I am looking to sell mine next year. But I am selling to upgrade to a true multi fueler and also something that has more adjustability (like the Hi/Low feature-Quad is just On/Off and I wish it was not)

For the price, I say try it. Keep the Quad, even if it is not hooked up. So if it does not work out, you can re-install the CB 1200 and prob make a dollar or two selling the Harman.

Attachments

• Done-till next year.jpg
    Done-till next year.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 277
My advice would be to grab the Harman and don't look back. I have owned a Quad 1200 and a Harman P61A and there was no comparision. Granted, the accentra is a smaller stove than the P61 but It will still put the quad to shame.

Just got done selling my Classic Bay 1200. It was a quick sell posted it on craigslist for a $1000 and got the full amount. Didn't think I would sell it that quick..., so I really don't have a choice now but get the Harman Accentra!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.