Clay thimble, block chimney. I’m about to give up. Send help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jeepguy40

Sep 23, 2018
Wolcott, Ny
DD6989F3-84DE-435F-BEB8-678A2DC77D3F.jpeg
5FC43AE2-3220-48D9-9C33-59165E233B3F.jpeg
51CA791F-EB6B-4DDD-980E-9CE20CB7A089.jpeg
Been in the house for a year. And, last winters propane costs about killed me.

I got the “contents” of the newly remodeled house with the purchase. In the garage was a nice looking wood stove (turns out it’s a Chinese’s knock of of a VC difiant).

This year I’m determined to burn wood in lieu of propane.

Built a raised pad which turned out great!

Now to poke a hole in the newly done dry wall.
Only to find the broken clay tile thimble. I’m new to this type of install. I know I should have known better.

Cemented a new thimble in last night. Good to go. But, now I decide to look at clearances. 12” and should be brick between. I don’t have 12”. In fact I have 5” to the OSB that my siding is attached to. Which butts the 18” block chimney (yes it’s lined with clay. Looks pretty good actually)

Oh, it’s an 8” clay tile. And, my stove circa 1980 has an oval what seems to be 8” exhaust opening.

I literally cannot remove the OSB without tearing off basically my whole endwall of siding. Even if I did. What would my siding attach to? Durarock? Seems like a poor connection.

I have almost 12” around to the nearest studs. This I can fix. But, I don’t see how I can fix the OSB being more than 6” away at best. Let alone 12”. The block chimney isnt 34” wide so it’s impossible.
I’m also worried that the crack where the OSB butts the chimney isn’t air tight at all.

I have some ideas. But, I can’t see them being code compliant.

Thanks in advance. Btw I’ve spent weeks reading all of these posts before I finally signed up. You guys are great!!

Yes that doesnt meet code and is unsafe. What you need is an insulated wall thimble. There are many on the market by many different manufacturers. You chimney is also not built to code it should have 1" clearance between the outside of the masonry chimney structure and any combustible material. You need an insulated liner to address that issue.

Reactions: webby3650