Cleaning stove before paint curing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BrownT10

Burning Hunk
Jun 1, 2021
Massachusetts
I have had the install done and curious as to what should a stove be cleaned/wiped down with before curing the paint? Is there anything special to clean it from fingerprints or markings before curing the paint?

Also, there was some overspray onto the stove from the stove pipe black paint. Is there an easy way to remove this now that it has dried without taking the finish off the stove? Also, it is a steel stove.

You could wipe it down lightly with alcohol or a slightly damp rag.
The overspray should have been avoided. If the stove pipe was painted with Stove Brite paint the solvent is acetone, but that will likely also strip off the factory paint on the stove so I wouldn't do it. Instead, you might try lightly steel wooling the overspray area with very fine steel wool to help blend it in.
FWIW, we had a little overspray on our stove too. It was minor so I just left it alone and it faded with time.

Thank you. Agreed, the overspray should have been avoided, I am not too please about it. I will likely leave it alone as it would likely be unnoticeable to most.

Reactions: EbS-P
I have had the install done and curious as to what should a stove be cleaned/wiped down with before curing the paint? Is there anything special to clean it from fingerprints or markings before curing the paint?

Also, there was some overspray onto the stove from the stove pipe black paint. Is there an easy way to remove this now that it has dried without taking the finish off the stove? Also, it is a steel stove.
I got a 15 yr old stove off Craigslist that needed to be refinished. After using a wire wheel to remove all the rust, I wiped down the whole thing with acetone before 3 coats of Stove Brite paint. The next day (still outside) I lit a small fire for about an hour and baked on the new paint, and after it cooled the smell was pretty much gone. After about 4 months of use the paint still looks new.

IMG_8124.jpg IMG_8112.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: marty319
Looks great. Fortunately the paint used for the stove pipe came off fairly easily lightly using a scotch pad and some water without marking the factory paint. I plan to wipe off any markings and cure the paint when this humidity goes away.