Cleaning stove with brush

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MommyOf4

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2012
Southern MD
So I just bought a pellet stove brush and I'm wondering, do I just run the brush through the venting to clean it? Is there something I should be careful of or anything I need to know?

Depends how your venting is set up. You should have a cleanout that you would open up and you can run the brush from the outside terminus (take off the cap) and put a bucket or something under the cleanout and keep adding the lengths to the brush as you go. My venting consists of a cleanout behind the stove, up about 4 ft., 90 degree bend and out. My vent brush doesn't handle the 90 degree bend so I open everything up, clean from the outside over to the 90, then take the brush inside and run it up from the cleanout to get the rest.

Obviously make sure the stove is off and cooled. Can be a messy job. Sometimes the vent cleanout and the terminus cap can be tough to get off. Good Luck!

Mine seems to be like your set up. Can I just run the brush from the cleanout Tee and not have to touch the outdoor cap?

Not sure you would get the horizontal section outside. That gets accumulation of soot as well. Besides. I would hate to see you push the soot up to that 90 and then accumulate extra in the horizontal run.

Sigh...The lady at the Do It Best store sold me rods and brush that doesn't fit each other.

Sigh...The lady at the Do It Best store sold me rods and brush that doesn't fit each other.

Thats something you prob should have screwed together before you left :(

Pretty straight forward cleaning the vent.

There is a "Kit" made by Lint-Eater (also a soot-eater) that works wonders. :). Well worth the cost. IMO

Reactions: The Ds
Thats something you prob should have screwed together before you left :(

Pretty straight forward cleaning the vent.

There is a "Kit" made by Lint-Eater (also a soot-eater) that works wonders. :). Well worth the cost. IMO

I'm going to take an hour trip to Lowes to pick one up on Monday/Tuesday. Which do you think works better, Linteater or Sooteater?

I got the linteater, but it doesn't seem to want to go down the 90degree elbow. Is there a trick to it?

Mommyof4 see my post #2 above. I have the same issue. I do it in 2 stages...Go from the cleanout tee to the 90 on the inside and from the end cap to the 90 for the horizontal run from the outside.

hmmmmm...have to give that a try. I've been afraid of doing damage but I can see how the rotating motion will help it make that corner.

Pretty sure it was designed to be used with a drill?? I gotta go look at the instructions.

Pretty sure it was designed to be used with a drill?? I gotta go look at the instructions.

I just picked up one also and was wondering if the rod was made to go to onto a drill or not. Seems like it should but I never thought to ask.

Yep.. Just checked instructions. Its Designed to be used with a Drill.

RTM

I've never done it without the drill.. The thought would be silly.

Mommyof4 see my post #2 above. I have the same issue. I do it in 2 stages...Go from the cleanout tee to the 90 on the inside and from the end cap to the 90 for the horizontal run from the outside.

That's what I ended up doing, but didn't get in the angle at all.

I use a drill on mine. My brush has a ball on it to guide it around corners but without the drill it's a battle. I hook my vac up at the clean out tee, 1 pass in and 1 out and the vents clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.