Clearance Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PJP

Mar 22, 2020
Maine
Hey guys,

Can someone explain to me the point of the collar clearance in the below diagram? The stove is cornered so I am using D + E as a reference. I meet the 13.5 measurement but not the 24.5 right now. A sweep said I am fine because I meet the 18” single wall clearance but according to this diagram I don’t meet the 24.5 clearance. Any thoughts / input?

If I move the stove out off the wall I then won’t meet my front clearance at 18”.

Englander 13-nc single wall pipe.

BAC40D13-6376-4479-A02F-CCE5810F1F9B.jpeg

Front of stove - 18" in Canada, 16" in US, seems weird to me with the measurements, figured you would need one for the other in the corner setup, but the rule of thumb is always adjust for the closest measurement to be the legal one to follow, in other words the stove may have to kick further out to meet the minimum closest clearance.
Side note here, before getting to deep with that particular stove, please test the door gasket using the dollar bill method, the last few batches of this stove have been bad from the factory, the stove is stamped cut and I suspect the die used was worn out or bad causing the front steel around the door to have an inward bow, the door simply doesnt seal well and can cause run away fires. the solution from the factory was to increase the door gasket size, which is hardly the fix. test the door seal, then take a straight edge ruler and place against the door opening and see if the stove is bowed.

Wow. Funny you say that. This stove has a warp on top and bottom about 1/16 - 1/8 inch. You can also see when you pop the door off where the gasket was sealing and where it was not. I have been having issues with the fire too so I wouldn’t be surprised if this has to do with it.
As far as the clearances go... Are you talking about make sure I meet the 13” or the 24.5” clearance?
98DF40A0-D04A-41D5-A915-51AEA11E35A1.jpeg94079F5A-E06F-41D9-8682-A417322AA7F8.jpeg

Are you talking about make sure I meet the 13” or the 24.5” clearance?
If you meet the 24" clearance then by defacto the 13" corner edge clearance would be met or in your case exceeded.

This stove has a warp on top and bottom about 1/16 - 1/8 inch.
Its such a sad thing the Englander put profits over quality on that batch of stoves, that company use to be one of the best stove manufactures, prided themselves on made in the USA (Virginia) and would do a no questions asked warrantee, that all changed, perhaps a new business partner or internal change in management, we would never know, but what we do know is that they made a bad decision and I personally wont recommend any of there stoves anymore because of it, even though other models are still good, there commitment as a whole in definitely a behavior change for the bad.

Reactions: Sailrmike
Yup.

The stove isn’t a year old. Wonder if they’ll warranty it.

Anyone know if I can get a stove similar to the 17-vl? I dont think they sell them anymore.

Yup.

The stove isn’t a year old. Wonder if they’ll warranty it.

Anyone know if I can get a stove similar to the 17-vl? I dont think they sell them anymore.
The stove has a 5yr warranty. They should cover it.