Clearances to Combustibles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

charly

Our old farm house has a clay tile chimney system. A new chimney liner was installed this year. My question is, the wall behind where the stove will sit is real brick. Is this considered a non combustible surface, or would it have to have a known airspace behind the brick? My stove calls for an 8 inch clearnance from the back to combustibles. Right now I'm looking at needing a hearth extension for the front of the pad, keeping the stove 8 inches from the brick. Because the front of my pad is 45'd off each front corner , the extension is going to make it look like poo. To use my 4ft X4ft hearth pad ,I would have to bring the back of my stove within an inch of the brick. The back of the stove has a heat type shield with an airspace that the blower is mounted too. Is it possibe to but the heart extension to the back and butt the full hearth to that, so it's not as obvious, or is the place were they but together considered a break? The break would be under the stove. Again there is an ash system which is also another airspace. Stove has legs not a pestal.

Is this for the Quad 5700 unit in your signature?

What is behind the brick on the wall? More brick? Or combustibles? Or unknown?

jtp10181 said:
Is this for the Quad 5700 unit in your signature?

What is behind the brick on the wall? More brick? Or combustibles? Or unknown?
Yes it's for my Quad 5700. I have no idea what's behind the brick. There was a stove here at one time, but before we bought the house.

Forget getting close to the wall now, I just realized my blower needs about four inches of clearance beyond the back of the stove. That makes me short for my front clearance, to the glass. I just did a search and found that the brick on the wall is consider a combustible, without knowing what is behind it. Only fire I want is in the stove. I guess my question now is , can I butt the hearth extension to the back of the hearth pad instead of the front? That would look a little nicer until I can build something this summer. Just want to get heating for now.

So you have a moveable hearth pad? It does not have to go all the way back to the wall in the USA, only to the back of the stove, you can pull the pad away from the wall with the stove and keep your front clearances in tact.

Also, if you do not know what is behind the brick you assume it is combustible. Then your measurment for the rear clearce would start at the back of the brick, so measure off the front of the brick minus 4".

jtp10181 said:
So you have a moveable hearth pad? It does not have to go all the way back to the wall in the USA, only to the back of the stove, you can pull the pad away from the wall with the stove and keep your front clearances in tact.

Also, if you do not know what is behind the brick you assume it is combustible. Then your measurment for the rear clearce would start at the back of the brick, so measure off the front of the brick minus 4".
I was told , having a horizontal pipe going into the wall , the hearth pad has to extend to the wall under the pipe. Was I misinformed? I know a vertical pipe install the pad doesn't have to be to the back wall. Yes it is a movable pad.

You information is confirmed in the manual on page 32:
http://www.quadrafire.com/~/media/Files/Quadrafire/Installation Manuals/man_5700ST_ACC.ashx (cut and paste enitre line for link to work correctly)

" Non-combustible floor protections must extend beneath the flue pipe when installed with horizontal venting and extend 2 inches (51mm) beyond each side. Figure 32.4."

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////
The quad has stringent specs for installation, you could research other units with reduced clearances for your situation. Research thoroughly before pulling the trigger on the purchase.

ah yes, I forgot about that for the horizontal section.

So yeah, you could butt an extension piece to the back if you wanted to bring it out further.

To meet the horizontal hearth specs, I'm going to just pull my pad out 9 inches from the wall, allowing an extra inch more over specs, specs called for 8 inches, than just cut a 9in X 9in piece out of a UL listed hearth extension pad, and lay it behind the pad directly under the pipe. Problem solved. I don't understand the pipe being double wall and being 60 inches from the floor why a protection pad is required. Are they figuring for a hot pipe comming apart and landing on the floor , or perhaps creosote dripping from the pipe?

You could also just get a piece of HX4 from your Quad dealer, lay it down under the pipe, then put durock or hardibacker over it. Makeshift hearth protection. Could even get fancy and put some wood trim on the side edges to hide the cut edges.

jtp10181 said:
You could also just get a piece of HX4 from your Quad dealer, lay it down under the pipe, then put durock or hardibacker over it. Makeshift hearth protection. Could even get fancy and put some wood trim on the side edges to hide the cut edges.
What's HX4?

Its Micore 300, re-sold by HHT in sections the correct size to put in front of their built in wood fireplaces to meet the hearth protection requirements.

Probably the most R you can get out of anything for 1/2" of material.

jtp10181 said:
Its Micore 300, re-sold by HHT in sections the correct size to put in front of their built in wood fireplaces to meet the hearth protection requirements.

Probably the most R you can get out of anything for 1/2" of material.
My dealer sold me a hearth extension called HY-C board. 18in x 48in. I'm just going to cut off 9 in; and lay that behind my stove hearth pad to the wall. That will give me an 18 inch wide area for my stove pipe. Only really needs to be 10 inches wide. LOL my pipe is double walled and 67 inches away from the floor , where it runs horizontal. What kind of radiant heat can be generated to the floor from that?

I think the requirement is made more for stoves that can vent straight out the back. Like a hearth mount setup straight out into a clean out Tee. In that situation I would want something under the pipe. In your setup I do not see what the purpose is.

jtp10181 said:
I think the requirement is made more for stoves that can vent straight out the back. Like a hearth mount setup straight out into a clean out Tee. In that situation I would want something under the pipe. In your setup I do not see what the purpose is.
I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.