Clydesdale up and running...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

loudog

Oct 8, 2012
Massachusetts
Well, it took nearly two months to get the stove installed and permitted after pulling the trigger, but we've been burning for a little over a week now and things are going really well. Thanks to everyone for helping us pick out the stove (Hearthstone Clydesdale, which is soapstone lined).

DSC_0275.jpg

The burns have been going really well. I usually throw in two bio-bricks with every load of nearly seasoned Hickory, and that's been working well. Keeping the glass relatively clean with no smoke coming out of the chimney when it's rolling. Overnight burns haven't been a problem at all so far...may change a bit as it gets colder. We've been burning 24 hours a day since it's easier than re-starting a fire from scratch. It wasn't originally our plan to solely heat with the stove, but it's been easy to do...so the furnace is only being used for hot water at this point!

I couldn't find a good ash rake online, so I built one (as it seems many people do here). About $15 in parts from Lowe's. The bottom is some sort of masonry trowel, which is connected to a steel tube painted with heat resistant paint. I like how it came out, and it's been working well.

DSC_0277.jpg

Anyway, thanks again for the help. I'm digging this burning thing so far...

ETA: The fan cord is bothering me more than I thought it would. I've come up with some ways we can wire it to be hidden, and we'll be getting an electrician out here soon to help with that.

Reactions: raybonz
Congrats! Looks Great.

Congrats that's a beautiful insert!

Ray

Congrats looks very nice.

Real nice!

You will get addicted to the nice steady heat..you will find yourself standing next to it soaking up the heat on those cold days more then you think you will..lol.

Ill take one of those rakes lol, stove looks great, funny how we buy stoves to get some heat then they take over and the furnace never runs.

Ill take one of those rakes lol, stove looks great, funny how we buy stoves to get some heat then they take over and the furnace never runs.

Ha! I was thinking that may not be a bad business idea, the rakes, since it doesn't seem like there are many/any good ones available. Though, wood burners seem to be industrious, and just build their own.

Is that some kind of ash scoop on the right?

Yeah, it's called the ash dragon. Great concept and works well when I have no hot coals, but it's a bit wide for my firebox when I only want to clear out the front.

Reactions: etiger2007
I just went shopping at both Lowes and Home Depot looking for a coal rake. Needless to say neither had one so I ended up grabbing a hand gardening (weeding) rake with 3 tines of the same length. I plan on trying it in the morning, I figured for $3 I couldn't go wrong. If it works ok I plan on taking the wooden handle off and welding on a longer rod so I can use it when the stove is hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.