Clydesdale wood insert thermostat .. replacement ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My Clydesdale wood insert is getting slower and slower to turn the fan on... do you think the thermostat is going ?
Do the make a lower one so the fan will turn on faster?
Were is it located ?
Thanks

Good idea … Now were is that manual … That's the problem ..

Found the manual and part info on line ..I was wondering if anyone just did this and had some pointers..

OK. Have you vacuumed everything in the blower area?
Does the thermo disk look clean?
Is it making solid contact with the stove body?

Hmmm would you happen to have a pic...

Attachments

• 20191007_130402.jpg
    20191007_130402.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 177
Not sure which model Clyde you have, but here's the latest manual.

Attachments

• Clydesdale 8491 Manual 8-22-18.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 407
Picture1007191558_1.jpg

I think this is what your referring to
C 34 7000-301 SWITCH: T'STAT,BLOWER,TUC 1/WIN/DVI 32
Do they come in diff temps like the ones for your car ?

Hmmm $60 to replace this ..what would happen , if I tried to clean it ..not that is dirty ..it's tight against the casting ..

These snap disc thermostats are common and sell for under $15 typically unless proprietary. What you need is the rating of the switch. Clean it off. Do you see any writing or numbers on the side?

I'll take a look!
Thanks

These snap disc thermostats are common and sell for under $15 typically unless proprietary. What you need is the rating of the switch. Clean it off. Do you see any writing or numbers on the side?
Yes 21500 F120-15F 7000-3

I do not know what your temps are but the numbers MAY indicate NC (on) at/above 125*f and NO (off) below 105*f

Amazon product ASIN B0026RTEZCScreenshot_2019-10-08-19-33-49.png
Youll find it cheaper if you shop around AND *** The switch MUST be rated for the voltage used, Presumably 120V***
11.95 fs over 25

Last edited:
Yes, that is right for temperature. It must be rated for the amperage load of the blower(s). They come in different packages. Some are button faced like the one you posted and some are flush-faced. That will be easy to determine when it's removed.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
So my question should be .. do these slowly stop working ..or what causes it to not work as it did new?
Is there some thing I should do to get it to turn on faster,,it takes along time to turn on the fans.. Is this what would cause the delay? I'm afraid to replace this and see no improvement..

So my question should be .. do these slowly stop working ..or what causes it to not work as it did new?
Is there some thing I should do to get it to turn on faster,,it takes along time to turn on the fans.. Is this what would cause the delay? I'm afraid to replace this and see no improvement..
It could stop operating properly due to a lack of heat transference (loose mount or debris behind steel) or because the bimetal element has fatigued, poor guality, overfiring, or corosion, etc. Ive seen insect debris in places it doesnt belong, such as switches and relays which burned up contacts or prevented them from making contact. Ive even seen an alternator full of stink bugs which caused the brush surfaces to get all messed up.

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy
It could also be your rheostat. I’ve had to replace mine twice on the Clyde. Shop around you can find them on Amazon a lot cheaper than the fireplace stores. Easy to replace.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
The thermostat is on the way ..I'll report back when I have it in and running ..

It is in …. ==c and no difference … <>
Suggestions

It is in …. ==c and no difference … <>
Suggestions
If you already are having fires, you can test the snap switch setpoint with an ohm meter or volt meter and use a digital therm to observe when it cuts in and off.

If you can remove the switch, test the setpoints with a hair dryer and ohm meter and digital thermometer. If the switch is out of spec's by 10%?, replace. The actual heat transference and stpoint may vary when installed but should be close when isolated by removing it from the stove.

If you already are having fires, you can test the snap switch setpoint with an ohm meter or volt meter and use a digital therm to observe when it cuts in and off.

If you can remove the switch, test the setpoints with a hair dryer and ohm meter and digital thermometer. If the switch is out of spec's by 10%?, replace. The actual heat transference and stpoint may vary when installed but should be close when isolated by removing it from the stove.
That is beyond my understanding.._g

That is beyond my understanding.._g
Replace the thermostatic snap switch if the switch is:
1. Properly mounted
2. Inner stove area adjacent to the switch is clean/clear in order to promote the best heat transference.
3. Properly wired.

1. Properly mounted yes
2. Inner stove area adjacent to the switch is clean/clear in order to promote the best heat transference. yes
3. Properly wired. Hmmm
3. Properly wired …. is it positive sensitive ( have I switched leads ) ?

VirginiaIron said:
1. Properly mounted yes
2. Inner stove area adjacent to the switch is clean/clear in order to promote the best heat transference. yes
3. Properly wired. Hmmm

3. Properly wired …. is it positive sensitive ( have I switched leads ) ?
Please receive this in the gentlest of tone; Electricity can cause fires, burns, death, and property loss. I strongly suggest you consult an electrician or an appliance repair man to correct this issue.
Your friend VI