Cobb Hill in Hartland, Vermont,

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Johnson

Mod Emeritus
Nov 18, 2005
Central NYS
Anybody familiar with this place? I'm told they heat 19 single-family homes, three apartments and a community center with a big Garn. Apparently, part of the deal is that residents keep the thing fueled in shifts.

I went to Cobb Hill in 2005 for the Solar Homes Tour that year. It was a pretty neat place, something between a New England village, condo complex and commune. I got to see some of the solar DHW stuff but wasn't really paying attention to the wood boilers at that time. I'm sorry that I didn't. I think this is an annual host site during the tour which is always the first Saturday in October.

When you have that kind of density, district heating works pretty well which is why is it big in Europe. It almost makes think about asking my neighbor if he wanted to go halfsies on one of those beasts.

Kohler and Lewis from Keene NH designed the Cobb Hill system. As you might have seen on the GARN site, they feature a video from Bob Vila, (ugh!, cannot stand listening to that guy.), on site at Cobb Hill.

Kohler & Lewis Garn link

Cobb Hill Green Building link

Bob Vila link

Status
Not open for further replies.