Cold Bathroom

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
packerfan said:
I went to the local big box store and picked up a nice piece of carpet (remnant) and a carpet cutting knife. I was easily able to cut the carpet to match the dimentions of my bathroom, and it worked out great. No more cold feet!! I figure that once it warms up again, I'll just roll up the carpet and store it in the basement for the summer. Just remember that if you get a really thick piece of carpet, that you may have to shave a little bit off the bathroom door.

Ewwwwweee that is just wrong... did you carpet your kitchen too? My floor mats get nasty enough and we wash them every week, I cant imagine what a carpet would grow in through an entire season.

I guess it depends where your BR is. My wood stove is in the middle of the downstairs (of a cape) and the BR is off the hall close by. Because our BR has a fan in the shower cieling, I keep the door closed so I don't lose any heat via the fan hole. In the morning I open the door and the heat from the hall pours in. The moisure from the BR shower pours out. And all is well.

Guardguy said:
There are a lot of good ideas here, but I think we are all spoiled. My mom grew up in Northern Michigan with only wood heat and an outhouse. That was in the 40's.

You're right about that. I was just talking to my dad about our new woodburner, and told him even if we ran out of nat. gas, I could probably heat this house better with this stove than they were able to heat the farmhouse where he was born and raised. He told me about stories of the upstairs bedroom being so cold he needed 10 blankets, and water in the toilet froze by morning. Now that's a cold bathroom :bug:

You can fit a re-circulation pump on the hot water line and plumb the return through a wall mounted radiator. This way all you will do is draw some heat from your water heater. The pumps have 3 modes: Off, Automatic (will keep the water temp at around 90F in the hot water line) and Timer. Pump will run about $90-120 I don't know the price for wall mounted radiator. Electric draw is probably less than 50w (when running).

I personally have one of the oil filled electric heaters with a timer and thermostat and it works just fine and I have seen no change to my $35 monthly electric bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.