Combuster for Englander 24-AC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Feb 10, 2018
PA
I have an Englander 24-AC that came with our home when we purchased 4 years ago. Fortunately, the previous owners left the manual. Unfortunately, we need a new catalyst and I don’t know where to look for parts. Our first year here I did purchase some parts directly from Englander but I remember being shocked that a new catalyst would cost $300! Even our chimney sweep said they’re typically in the ballpark of $50. That doesn’t seem to matter now because they no longer have this stove listed on their parts website. I emailed Englander (who seems to have been bought out by a french speaking company) and was informed that they are no longer manufacturing parts for this model. There’s nothing wrong with the stove besides being a little aged - approx 20 years. So that being said, I have the manual with any specs I might need. Is it possible to find a generic catalyst to replace my crumbling one? Where would I go about looking for a replacement? Are there any other parts I need to purchase along with the catalyst? I did replace the internal heat shield a few years ago along with the bolts, so access shouldn’t he an issue. Knock on wood.

Measure the size of the old one and then Google search it. Generics are available from a number of sources. I don’t know enough about any single company to recommend one.

How old is the stove? Is this a 6" round cat or 5.66"? 2" or 3" thick? Check with Midwest Hearth, but I think the later 24-AC might take the same cat as the 24-FC. If so then they may have the replacement cat.

EDIT: It looks like it is 6" round, 3" thick and Condar still sells them for $162.

Last edited:
How old is the stove? Is this a 6" round cat or 5.66"? 2" or 3" thick? Check with Midwest Hearth, but I think the later 24-AC might take the same cat as the 24-FC. If so then they may have the replacement cat.

EDIT: It looks like it is 6" round, 3" thick and Condar still sells them for $162.
Hi! You are correct 6” x 3”. I actually found this exact site and am going to purchase. However, they gave 2 options - one with a steel ring and one with an expanding gasket. I checked my current one and as far as I can see, there is no metal ring. Does it matter? Is one better? Almost forgot - stove was purchased in 2001 by previous owners. I have no idea if they’ve previously replaced the combuster.

The metal refers to the catalyst honeycomb construction. I would get the ceramic with the interam gasket included. That is closest to the original equipment.

Excellent - that is what I needed to know! One last question: do I need any other parts for the replacement or is this as simple as out with the old, in with the new?