Combustor life Blaze King Ashford

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Newburnerwisconsin

Feeling the Heat
Jul 8, 2015
wisconsin
Hi everyone. Just curious. How many years are you guys getting on a combustor for a Blaze King Ashford 30? Full time wood burning 7 months out of the year with Midwest hardwoods? Oak, black walnut, locust, etc. thanks

Expect around 10.000 hours of active cat life. For some forum members, this means a couple of seasons. For some other a few years. For the occasional burner, almost a lifetime. Since I don’t use my Ashford as the only heat source (I have a wood boiler) I think I can stretch my original combustor to last 5 years or so.

Reactions: Highbeam
I got (4) seasons on my princess cat (i think they're the same) My burning habits are start somewhere in mid October and end near the end of April, going 24/7 in between.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got (4) seasons on my princess cat (i think they're the same) My burning habits are start somewhere in mid October and end near the end of April, going 24/7 in between.
Thanks. Would it be safe to say you are saving money on cutting wood? Chains, gas etc.? I am taking a real hard look at the Ashford. 4 years is pretty good.

Expect around 10.000 hours of active cat life. For some forum members, this means a couple of seasons. For some other a few years. For the occasional burner, almost a lifetime. Since I don’t use my Ashford as the only heat source (I have a wood boiler) I think I can stretch my original combustor to last 5 years or so.

Great answer. My bk cat life is 2-3 years of burning 9 months per year. Low btu wood species and at low output settings. 10,000 hours is what the cat manufacturer rates them for which matches my experience well.

Cats are cheap. Change them often to maintain high efficiency.

Thanks. Would it be safe to say you are saving money on cutting wood? Chains, gas etc.? I am taking a real hard look at the Ashford. 4 years is pretty good.
Yes - i went from burning an average of 6-7 cords a season (in a US stove 2500 epa air tube reburn) to 4 cords running full bore, I also get better heat (measure from stove efficiency)
I cut firewood for enjoyment, but since i only need 4 cords a year there is a savings in saw usage / wear and tare.
I live in a smaller home, my back up heat is hot water baseboard which is only used when I'm away.
Burn times are excellent.

Nothing to add really. I get to 8-10k hours out of mine, spend a lot of time with the tsat at high. The folks running on low throttle are consistently getting 10 to 12k hours.