Comfortbilt HP 22 stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

baddog76

Feb 22, 2022
wis
Looking at upgrading my 15 year old Countryside/Lennox stove . Have one of the larger pellet stove dealers in the nation a few miles down the road from me , they push Harmon very hard . I know they're good but $3500/4000 plus is questionable, are they that much better ? I'm thinking of going with a Comfortbuilt HP22 ( about $1800 from menards). The reviews seem to be good but the company has been in business for maybe 5 years or so. I'm reasonably handy so not having a nearby dealer is not a deal-breaker . Thoughts ??

Thanks !

If you had a 15 year old Harman, you would not even think about getting rid of it.
Which is why many used Harman's cost more than the new farm store stove you are looking at.

Reactions: Washed-Up
I installed a Comfortbilt HP50S in the fall. So far, I am very pleased with it. Easy to use and clean. It replaced an Englander PDVC-25 which I liked, but wanted something just a tad bit larger.

I was considering the HP22N because of the larger hopper (compared to the HP22 and the HP50S), but was probably too large of a stove for my situation. Only complaint is the hopper lid is a bit on the smallish size, but you get used to it.

Also, make sure to do a long 'burn in' outside or in the garage to burn off the new stove smell. I did a 'burn-in' for about 2 hours in the garage, but should have gone much longer.

If you had a 15 year old Harman, you would not even think about getting rid of it.
Which is why many used Harman's cost more than the new farm store stove you are looking at.
I believe in buying quality also , but to a point . My Lennox still works also but the newer stoves are more efficient and who knows 10 years from now what pellet/fuel prices will be ?? 2 years ago I ran my lp furnace mostly due to the price of lp vs pellets as an example.

What makes you think all newer stoves are more efficient? I am willing to bet a 15 year old Harman is more efficient than the stove you are looking to buy.
I agree with Mt Bob I see all over the forum people using 1 1/2 --2 or more bags a day.
when the outside temps are in the teens. I have never in 22 years used 2 dags a day
When the outside temp reaches -35/40 I will use 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 a day but to use that the
temp has to be really cold. We keep the 3 rooms the stove heats at 71 ::F Total space 1480 sq ft.

Newer stoves that are EPA compliant will have an efficiency rating , usually between 75 to 85 % . Possible... but I doubt 15 to 20-year-old stoves are that efficient .

Comfortbilt HP 22
Newer stoves that are EPA compliant will have an efficiency rating , usually between 75 to 85 % . Possible... but I doubt 15 to 20-year-old stoves are that efficient .
From the manufacture's websites.
Comfortbilt HP 22, HHV tested efficiency @ 73.3%. No mention of LHV efficiency. Being under 75% HHV rating this stove does not qualify for the Fed Tax Credit of 26%.

Harman P43, HHV efficiency 77% and LHV of 84%.
Harman P61a, HHV efficiency 79%, LHV of 85%.
Harman P68, HHV efficiency 79%, LHV of 85%.
The P series Harman's have been in production in one version or another since 1979 AND ALL QUALIFY for the Fed Tax Credit!
I'll keep my Harman!

Reactions: Mt Bob
I
Looking at upgrading my 15 year old Countryside/Lennox stove . Have one of the larger pellet stove dealers in the nation a few miles down the road from me , they push Harmon very hard . I know they're good but $3500/4000 plus is questionable, are they that much better ? I'm thinking of going with a Comfortbuilt HP22 ( about $1800 from menards). The reviews seem to be good but the company has been in business for maybe 5 years or so. I'm reasonably handy so not having a nearby dealer is not a deal-breaker . Thoughts ??

Thanks !
I've had a Comfortbilt HP61 for 2 winters now, with no complaints. I've talked to customer service a couple of times and they are probably as good or better than other manufactures I've contacted. ( Probably the best). I ordered a new burn pot this winter and it came within a week. I haven't needed to use it yet, because my original is still holding on, despite numerous cracks.