Complete newbie- hoping to heat cabin!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Haha, yeahh, my husband's funny like that.
Wood supply, well, our neighbor was kind enough to say we can share his log supply with him. We've already started splitting some.. but I imagine the moisture level is still high. These were felled 3 years ago, but obviously haven't had much done to them since.

View attachment 283304
Welcome, Morgan, always nice to see another Sistah, here !!! ;)

Keep going on that wood ASAP, and keep going !!

Your first year will be tight, but after that you should be golden. 2-3 years ahead is a good place to be!

Reactions: Downtherabbithole
Hello again everyone!
Thank you all so much for still getting back to me, I really love how supportive of you all have been!
So I have been having some issues with acquiring any wood stove, especially that first one in my original post.. seems a lot of people out here either don't ever tell you if it sells or just completely ignore you lol. It has been a little disheartening to say at least, especially when having to run electric heaters off of our generator costs us at least an extra $15 a day in gas!
So because of that, I have acquired a backup wood stove that I know nothing about.. aside from its big and heavy, and I believe it's actually supposed to be a fireplace insert? Can these essentially be standalone as well? Even if it's just for a season lol. The closest thing I could find to this one was a black Bart.. I would like to clean it up as well if we get in inside, any advice on how to go about that?

And yes, it's those average temps that have me worried! We're about a couple hours south of charleston, and I think technically in higher elevation. So I am curious to see what this season holds for us. I'll gladly crack a window if needs be haha.
Thank you all again!

View attachment 283825
That appears to be masonry fireplace insert. They are intended to be installed inside a code compliant masonry fireplace. there any identification tags? I personally would not consider that safe in my house if used as a woodstove (without a fireplace to install it into). If it has a tag, for it to be UL listed you must follow the manual otherwise it is treated as an unlisted appliance if it down have a tag it is an unlisted appliance.

At any rate it will need 8” stove pipe (versus the 6” for must stoves) and a custom connector. If you end up with a 6” stove it is unlikely to preform well on 8”

Even if there were no safety concerns (please don’t ignore them and do some research) the extra cost of 8” vs 6” when at some point you hopefully will get a 6” stove, just isn’t a smart financial choice.

I would rather use something like this US Stove (and read up on it they are know to have quality control issues) to get me by. I’m not recommending a U.S. stove but from a safe and cost perspective it probably is better than the old insert.

Just my two cents.

Reactions: Downtherabbithole
That appears to be masonry fireplace insert. They are intended to be installed inside a code compliant masonry fireplace. there any identification tags? I personally would not consider that safe in my house if used as a woodstove (without a fireplace to install it into). If it has a tag, for it to be UL listed you must follow the manual otherwise it is treated as an unlisted appliance if it down have a tag it is an unlisted appliance.

At any rate it will need 8” stove pipe (versus the 6” for must stoves) and a custom connector. If you end up with a 6” stove it is unlikely to preform well on 8”

Even if there were no safety concerns (please don’t ignore them and do some research) the extra cost of 8” vs 6” when at some point you hopefully will get a 6” stove, just isn’t a smart financial choice.

I would rather use something like this US Stove (and read up on it they are know to have quality control issues) to get me by. I’m not recommending a U.S. stove but from a safe and cost perspective it probably is better than the old insert.

Just my two cents.
I certainly appreciate your two cents!!
I completely understand what you mean about not using since it's an insert. Unfortunately when I bought it, I did not realize such things even existed! I will have to look again at the tag on the back, I was just barely able to get the model number off of it, but the picture I took came out blurry..
Honestly, I was naive and felt bad as the seller drove it out here and I could tell he was struggling.. my gut told me no but I went ahead anyway. I was hopeful at least as a back up plan, or "in case of emergency" then it could suffice, but after really realizing everything, I know I shouldn't..
I have considered that little stove to get us through, but I have heard the tales even from friends on the safety concerns of that one. It's terrified me.. not that this insert is any better lol. I honestly, at this moment, don't want either one in my home with my kids

Ahh, okay good to know!
The catalytic converter I think is where this rabbit hole really sent me for a spin.. do most wood stoves have them now? This is something I've never known about. But then again, the only wood stove I've been around was in my grandparents house when I was young..
Curious how this is working out for you. I'm in central Texas and just pulled out all the insulation in my 20 x 30 cabin and trying to figure out what kind of stove to get. Had no idea I need to be thinking about wood humidity, etc.

Curious how this is working out for you. I'm in central Texas and just pulled out all the insulation in my 20 x 30 cabin and trying to figure out what kind of stove to get. Had no idea I need to be thinking about wood humidity, etc.
Well it's certainly been quite the adventure! We've now gone through 3 wood stoves, our latest being the smaller one from tractor supply with the glass door.. US stove Defender I think. I'm sure my wood humidity is a little off, but all in all once I'm able to get the fire going, keeping it going is great! I've managed to keep a fire for 48 hours (well, morning embers back to flame) but that alone amazes me haha. I wish you luck! I know central TX can still get chilly. If there's anything else I can help with just let me know 😁