Complete newbie, need direction...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

we3ernes

Mar 29, 2017
Scott AFB
We are finalizing plans for a new home build and trying to decide what type of fireplace/wood stove we want. I read all the recommended threads from the sticky then started looking through the various posts and quickly got overwhelmed as I'm not even certain where to start. If you could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it!

Budget: absolutely no clue, have no idea what these things cost, but we are "buy quality and buy once people"

Lifestyle: we are looking for ambiance more than heat however we are also trying to build as greenly as possible and don't want to lose more heat than we generate.

Wood Type: mesquite, our new ranch has more of it than we can burn in 20 lifetimes, possibly chinaberry as well since they have a tendency to keel over during thunderstorms.

Weather: central Texas, so pretty warm, we do get some freezing nights, but not many

Burn Time: I'm guessing this means how long it can burn between stokings? If that is the case I see us just building a fire and letting it burn itself out after a few hours

Room Size: the great room this will be in is approximately 725 sq.ft.

House Size: the entire house is approximately 2,325 sq.ft.

Other notes: the fireplace will be built on the outside wall of the house. We don't need to be able to cook food and/or heat water. There is no gas at the ranch and we won't be putting in propane, so those are not options for fuel (much as I'd love the flip the switch and forget it). Although I would rather be a switch flipper I am willing to learn how to properly build a fire and maintain a fireplace. We don't have small children, but we do have small pets. Ummm, that's all I can think of right now.

Thanks in advance!

There is a gamut of options, but it sounds like what you have visualized is a fireplace and not a freestanding stove, is that correct?

If yes, the next decision is whether to have a masonry fireplace or one that is manufactured and framed in. The latter is called a zero-clearance (ZC) fireplace. Do you have a sense of which you would prefer? A good zero-clearance installation will probably run from $7-10K installed. That price may not include fancy stonework. A masonry fireplace can range from $10K and up depending on the chimney height, and look desired. Trimming with nice stonework on the inside and/or outside can raise the price quite a bit. For a ZC fireplace it sounds like one in the 2-2.5 cu ft range would be more than sufficient.

There is a gamut of options, but it sounds like what you have visualized is a fireplace and not a freestanding stove, is that correct?

If yes, the next decision is whether to have a masonry fireplace or one that is manufactured and framed in. The latter is called a zero-clearance (ZC) fireplace. Do you have a sense of which you would prefer? A good zero-clearance installation will probably run from $7-10K installed. That price may not include fancy stonework. A masonry fireplace can range from $10K and up depending on the chimney height, and look desired. Trimming with nice stonework on the inside and/or outside can raise the price quite a bit. For a ZC fireplace it sounds like one in the 2-2.5 cu ft range would be more than sufficient.

Begreen,

Yep, I'm definitely thinking fireplace, unless a freestanding stove would be significantly less? My impression is that there really is no significant difference in the function between a zero-clearance and a masonry fireplace, is that correct? Thanks so much for your reply, now I have a starting point for my research, I appreciate it!

A freestanding stove can be significantly less money. Depending on the stove, chimney requirements and hearth a stove installation can be as low as $3000, but it can go up to $6-7K as things get fancier.

A masonry fireplace is a traditional design. Not so good for heating, but nice for ambience. It could be retrofitted with an insert later on if heating became a priority A cheap ZC fireplace is the somewhat the same, but what you see is what you get. Not much option for retrofitting. An EPA fireplace will provide much cleaner burning, good fireview and heating.
For starters, stop by RSF and Pacific Energy's websites and see if their ZC fireplaces interest you. Also, we have a couple threads of ZC installs happening right now that you might be interested in.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/new-pacific-energy-fp30-installation-progress-thread.157602/

A freestanding stove can be significantly less money. Depending on the stove, chimney requirements and hearth a stove installation can be as low as $3000, but it can go up to $6-7K as things get fancier.

A masonry fireplace is a traditional design. Not so good for heating, but nice for ambience. It could be retrofitted with an insert later on if heating became a priority A cheap ZC fireplace is the somewhat the same, but what you see is what you get. Not much option for retrofitting. An EPA fireplace will provide much cleaner burning, good fireview and heating.
For starters, stop by RSF and Pacific Energy's websites and see if their ZC fireplaces interest you. Also, we have a couple threads of ZC installs happening right now that you might be interested in.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/new-pacific-energy-fp30-installation-progress-thread.157602/

Thank you Begreen, I need to speak with my husband about the freestanding vs. ZC fireplaces. I'm thinking his frugal side will be warring with his traditional side. What we don't want, and is a concern for us, is to be overheating the house just so we can get the ambiance (my dad ended up ripping out a free-standing because he couldn't get it to run cool enough. On the flip side we don't want the fireplace to be an energy hole. One last question - an EPA fireplace? Does that just indicate a fireplace endorsed by the Environmental Protection Agency?

Okay, off to do my research now that I've got a handle on what I should be researching!

Oh Amazon, what don't you have?

Image-960840648.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The scenario depicted warrants the choosing between the traditional ambiance of an open fireplace and the practical functions a wood stove has to offer.
If I was to construct this build, my nod would be given to the wood stove application due to lack of bottled gas.

What would be important to note is the size of the appliance due to the climate zone. In other words, not to exceed an appliance that states more than 2000 sq ft. (1900 sq' rating may be ideal for this geographical application) However, some get caught up in a "larger viewing area" and over buy their appliance.
The reason for the nod to an radiant appliance over the open burn such as "heatilator" and the like is due to ambiance appliances are not suited as being a sole heat source, if one moves in the direction of having a fireplace "insert" idea, there is also the required electricity needed for a convection appliance as opposed to radiant heat offered with a wood stove in a "primitive" environment (without gas) as electrical heat will consume $$ and oil such as kerosene spot heaters are not only dirty but require a constant supply of fresh air since they emit monoxide & other hydrocarbons.
When returning to a cold home or just maintaining one, I would want a "real" means of heat supply.

Thank you Begreen, I need to speak with my husband about the freestanding vs. ZC fireplaces. I'm thinking his frugal side will be warring with his traditional side. What we don't want, and is a concern for us, is to be overheating the house just so we can get the ambiance (my dad ended up ripping out a free-standing because he couldn't get it to run cool enough. On the flip side we don't want the fireplace to be an energy hole. One last question - an EPA fireplace? Does that just indicate a fireplace endorsed by the Environmental Protection Agency?

Okay, off to do my research now that I've got a handle on what I should be researching!
An EPA certified wood heater means that it has been tested to meet EPA standards for emissions.

Some ZC fireplaces can be operated with the doors closed, for winter heating or open (with a firescreen) for ambient burning with less heat. Some woodstoves also have this option. Some modern ZC fireplaces can blow heat into a more remote area of the house for more even heating, if that is desired.

How tall is the ceiling in the great room?

How tall is the ceiling in the great room?

Debate right now between flat 10' ceilings and a vault in the living room portion of the great room. If we go with a vault the fireplace would be on the "short" 10' wall and it would vault to approximately 14'9" in the center then descend back down to 10' flat for the dining/kitchen portion of the great room.

The scenario depicted warrants the choosing between the traditional ambiance of an open fireplace and the practical functions a wood stove has to offer.
If I was to construct this build, my nod would be given to the wood stove application due to lack of bottled gas.

What would be important to note is the size of the appliance due to the climate zone. In other words, not to exceed an appliance that states more than 2000 sq ft. (1900 sq' rating may be ideal for this geographical application) However, some get caught up in a "larger viewing area" and over buy their appliance.
The reason for the nod to an radiant appliance over the open burn such as "heatilator" and the like is due to ambiance appliances are not suited as being a sole heat source, if one moves in the direction of having a fireplace "insert" idea, there is also the required electricity needed for a convection appliance as opposed to radiant heat offered with a wood stove in a "primitive" environment (without gas) as electrical heat will consume $$ and oil such as kerosene spot heaters are not only dirty but require a constant supply of fresh air since they emit monoxide & other hydrocarbons.
When returning to a cold home or just maintaining one, I would want a "real" means of heat supply.

Thanks Benchwrench. Fuel oil is also not practicable in central Texas so we mainly go with geothermal heat pumps and solar gain, the efficiency and lack of extremes is such that many "green" homes don't require any supplemental heat during the winter months and the geothermal can run just for emergency situations. Thus the concern for overheating rather than under.

2 things...

1. A nice high efficiency Zero clearance fireplace sounds like what you are wanting. Just have them frame in a external chase while building.

2. Scott AFB is not in Texas. :p

2 things...

1. A nice high efficiency Zero clearance fireplace sounds like what you are wanting. Just have them frame in a external chase while building.

2. Scott AFB is not in Texas. :p

Thanks Rickb! Talking to our builder about ZC's

We are retiring to Texas. Living at SCAB now, building this summer!