Compressed logs safe to use? Logike?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kyguylal

Oct 6, 2018
New Hampshire
Couple hospital trips, a car accident, and a few other things put me back on my wood supply for this winter.

Back at it, but I only have the cords of dry wood right now.

Anyone ever use the logike compressed logs? I'm trying to figure out an approximate burn time on them so i know how many to buy. I planned on paying a few in with the wood I do have ready.

Stove is an Englander, the large Madison with a 3+ cf box.

Last year I threw a few of the bricks in with the wood, but the small ones didn't burn very long.

I won't burn out my stove with these things right?

If you get Neil's or Presto logs you wont be disappointed, they burn 8+ hours, I'm getting two pallets this year.

Second that for North Idaho Energy Logs (NIELS). Bought a cord of them when I ran out of wood late last winter. They burned beautifully, and generated lots of heat.

It is a wonderful option....

I think the log shape is better than the brick shape. I mixed bio bricks with marginally seasoned firewood last winter and that worked well. Better than using only the bricks. Unfortunately log shaped compressed wood products are not common where I live.

So I live in southern new Hampshire, how can I buy Presto Logs?

Hey Londonderry, I live right in Hudson NH, one town over from you. I did some research on this last year as I ran out of seasoned wood in late February. You can certainly find Presto or NIEL's logs at various supply places, but they generally sell them by the pack, and not the pallet. Most will sell by the pallet, but it's really expensive, like $5-600 per pallet.

I found the below company located in bedford nh:

They sell pallets of compressed wood bricks for $300 each i believe. I can't compare them to the niels or presto logs, but they worked well for me.

Hey Londonderry, I live right in Hudson NH, one town over from you. I did some research on this last year as I ran out of seasoned wood in late February. You can certainly find Presto or NIEL's logs at various supply places, but they generally sell them by the pack, and not the pallet. Most will sell by the pallet, but it's really expensive, like $5-600 per pallet.

I found the below company located in bedford nh:

They sell pallets of compressed wood bricks for $300 each i believe. I can't compare them to the niels or presto logs, but they worked well for me.

Not cheap but this place does pallets of NIEL.

I bought 2 pallets from wood pellets.com a few weeks ago so can't compare deeply but used okegean bricks last year which look roughly identical.

The NIEL seem more compressed, and last a bit longer. Could be just that 1 log is 4 bricks but with less surface area. However given costs I got 2 pallets of bricks and not logs.

i tired a few different compressed fire logs last winter. The biobricks were the best, the compressed logs from Lowe’s were the worst. Forgot the name but they were a giant, cheaper version of a biobrick sold in 3’s in a clear plastic wrapper. When I say cheaper I meant in construction. They were more expensive than the biobricks. They made a mess and basically crumbled when you opened the package. All they did was smolder in the stove too.

The biobricks lit easily, burned hot and clean but burned fast. I feel like a lot of that heat was lost up the chimney too. Neither one compared to wood by any stretch. If I had to do it again, I’d pay the extra money and look for a processor that has either legit seasoned wood on hand, or kiln drys it.

If you are in NH, you can order biobricks by the pallet at any Aubuchon Hardware.

If you’re looking for the Presto logs, I think I saw them at Lowe’s. Never used them so I’m not sure.

Last edited:
Just go to lignetics website and do a dealer search, same for NEIL's.