Compressed wood products

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If you load all 6: 3 E-W and 3 N-S on top. No more than an inch space between every 2 bricks. Shut air down at 300F.
One fire starter between 2 lower bricks.
Yes, the key for burning many of them is to stack them so that there are no air gaps between the bricks. I ran 13 BioBricks in the Castine this way without issue.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Last edited by a moderator:
Northern Idaho energy logs are the best that I've tried by far.That includes hot bricks,bio-bricks.envi-bricks,canawick bricks.

Reactions: weatherguy
A place local to me sells Bio Bricks from Bio Pellet for $300 a ton. I loaf them in with marginal wood or just a load of bricks. I'm still playing with air settings to find the best balance of heat and burn times.

Northern Idaho energy logs are the best that I've tried by far.That includes hot bricks,bio-bricks.envi-bricks,canawick bricks.
I bought some today but would love to try that Canadian product, Canada knows cold.

Reactions: Rich L and SpaceBus
Holy crap, I'd love to try some mega blocks, over 200,000 btus per block.
Sounds dubious. Wood is going to produce about 8,000 btus/lb. At 20 lbs, that's 160,000 btus and that is if it stays together well enough for a slow release. This also is hype - "Will also give you a full blown spectacle of a volcano like effect with its flame coming out of the center hole which acts as a vortox catalytic convertor." Would like to test their Viagreen and Infernal Log if anyone wants to arrange for shipping them to me.

Last edited:
Sounds dubious. Wood is going to produce about 8,000 btus/lb. At 20 lbs, that's 160,000 btus and that is if it stays together well enough for a slow release. This also is hype - "Will also give you a full blown spectacle of a volcano like effect with its flame coming out of the center hole which acts as a vortox catalytic convertor." Would like to test their Viagreen and Infernal Log if anyone wants to arrange for shipping them to me.

I think all of these compressed wood products are mostly the same. I wish I had a local place that sold the log shaped ones, but the small Bio Bricks from Bio Pellet are not bad either. So far every product I've seen is around 7,000 BTU/LB, but this company is claiming 7,700. That's 10% more BTU than Bio Bricks, but that could be a rounding error or a lie. It seems they just make large compressed wood products.

Albrown, the can-wicks work well as does the mirabuches, they are often on sale at patrickmorin.com.
I went on line and Patrick Morin has them on sale now. I bought 10 packs of 4 bricks of 6 pounds each. They claim 6 to 8 hours constant heat. http://canawick.com/en/produits.php?cat=Blocks&c=38. Claming 7600 btu per pound, so that is 45,000 btu per block .I will try it when it get to 5 F and lower. Trying to extend my burning time. If this work well , I will buy a full pallet to bring me to end april .

Last edited:
Reactions: charger4406
I've used NIELs the first year with the stove due to sub par wood. This winter I've burned some Bear Bricks as well as a new compressed log I found. These logs are 5lbs and roughly 9-10 inches long. They also have a flat stop to make stacking easier. They didn't have a brand name. These seem to be compressed denser than NEILs. I have had good coal chunks 36 hours after loading the stove!

Attachments

• 20190202_103936.jpg
    20190202_103936.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 108
  • 20190202_103917.jpg
    20190202_103917.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 127
  • 20190202_103926.jpg
    20190202_103926.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: albrown60
I bought some today but would love to try that Canadian product, Canada knows cold.
Where did you get your logs from and what was the price?

Where did you get your logs from and what was the price?
I got NIEL's for $415 per pallet. There's a place nearby selling those bear bricks for a good price but when I called no one ever answers the phone, makes me nervous doing business with a company that doesn't have a person answer the phone.

I've used NIELs the first year with the stove due to sub par wood. This winter I've burned some Bear Bricks as well as a new compressed log I found. These logs are 5lbs and roughly 9-10 inches long. They also have a flat stop to make stacking easier. They didn't have a brand name. These seem to be compressed denser than NEILs. I have had good coal chunks 36 hours after loading the stove!
That looks like the Home Fire Prest Log which is also an excellent fuel.

http://www.homefirelogs.com/

Last edited:
While on this topic, is it OK to use Duraflame logs or similar types of products?

I wouldn't do that. Too much wax in those logs and they produce almost no heat.

Is the wax bad? Aren't the super cedar fire starters made with wax? I didn't know they made so little heat, I figured they would be similar to bio bricks or similar.

Is the wax bad? Aren't the super cedar fire starters made with wax? I didn't know they made so little heat, I figured they would be similar to bio bricks or similar.
Not all wax is the same. The Duraflame logs create more junk in your chimney than anything else. They are more for ambiance in a fireplace.

Compare a 2 ounce piece of fire starter with a 3 lb log.

While on this topic, is it OK to use Duraflame logs or similar types of products?
No, they are made with wax (petroleum) binders. The compressed sawdust products being talked about here use the natural lignins to bind them by compressing under high pressure.

No, they are made with wax (petroleum) binders. The compressed sawdust products being talked about here use the natural lignins to bind them by compressing under high pressure.

Thanks for the heads up. I considered them in a pinch, since they light themselves, but I'll just get a torch.

I got NIEL's for $415 per pallet. There's a place nearby selling those bear bricks for a good price but when I called no one ever answers the phone, makes me nervous doing business with a company that doesn't have a person answer the phone.
That price keeps going up.I got a good price last year from a company that went up over a hundred bucks more this year.I had to buy large plastic bins to store them in my cellar.There's no way you can stack them with out them rolling all over the place.They do burn like all get out though.I'm down to four logs.I'll look into picking up a pallet this summer.Hopefully there'll be a sale going on somewhere.

That price keeps going up.I got a good price last year from a company that went up over a hundred bucks more this year.I had to buy large plastic bins to store them in my cellar.There's no way you can stack them with out them rolling all over the place.They do burn like all get out though.I'm down to four logs.I'll look into picking up a pallet this summer.Hopefully there'll be a sale going on somewhere.
That's why I'm considering the prest o logs for next year, one side is flat and their price hasnt risen as much.

That's why I'm considering the prest o logs for next year, one side is flat and their price hasnt risen as much.
Ya the Presto logs are $513.00 and the Idaho's are around $ 400.00 plus shipping.The Idaho's give you 240 logs per pallet.Their logs are larger than the Prestos and are made from hardwood.The Prestos give you 380 logs per pallet and are advertised as being made from wood not just hardwood.I'd have to burn a few of them before I would buy a pallet.I do like their flat bottoms but since I bought the large plastic bins it doesn't matter.I pay $300.00 for a cord of wood seasoned.If the pressed logs get too high I'll buy two cords for the price of one pallet of pressed logs.