Condensation buildup in stove during summer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MooseBucks

Dec 17, 2020
USA
We have a Yukon Eagle in our basement and last summer was our first one in our new home. I noticed that the warm air coming down the chimney caused condensation buildup in the stove. Best ideas on preventing this?

Disconnect the stovepipe from the furnace and cap the chimney. I do that every year after I'm done burning for the year.

Disconnect the stovepipe from the furnace and cap the chimney. I do that every year after I'm done burning for the year.
Do you shove a towel into the pipe, or put a plastic bag over the pipe to keep the air from being pulled out of your basement ?

Do you shove a towel into the pipe, or put a plastic bag over the pipe to keep the air from being pulled out of your basement ?

I just put a cap on the short segment of the double wall telescoping pipe right under the support box.

open:
IMG_20210525_104559385_HDR.jpg

Capped:
IMG_20210525_104540142_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: sloeffle
I've started disconnecting and capping my chimney too...then hang a Damp Rid bag in the firebox after cleaning the ashes out...

Reactions: sloeffle
I've started disconnecting and capping my chimney too...then hang a Damp Rid bag in the firebox after cleaning the ashes out...
Yep - I throw multiple silica desiccant bags into my stove after cleaning it out.