Confused by insert sizing and models

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsimon7777

Oct 6, 2010
California
I understand that I don't want too large an insert or too small. I'm just not sure what those sizes would be, and I'm not sure what the actual outputs of stoves are since they all seem to get similar ratings.

We have a well-insulated, 1-story, 2750 sq foot house in the SF Bay Area. The room that will have the insert is away from the bedrooms and the ventilation air return, in a ~600 sq foot room with nearby openings to about 1700sq feet of the house. It reaches below freezing here on few to no nights each year, and usually hits the low 40s in the dead of winter.

So do I look for firebox size? Max BTU? EPA BTU ratings? I know I want a clean burning unit as we'll have to burn some pine. At the same time, i want to fill it up at 11pm and wake up to a house in the low 60's, not the 40's.

Was thinking the Englander NC-13 because of it's low price, but is it too small? The quadrafires look nice, but are they way more expensive? Which model? They all look similar.

looks can be similar, actual construction can be decieving. You get what you pay far (most of the time). For an area you are describing, a unit that is rated for up to 2000 sqft would probably be sufficient, given the milder climate you are in.

Go by the firebox size. SF is a mild climate. From the description it sounds like a 2 cu ft insert will work. The 13NCi is in that neighborhood. The mid-sized Quad is very similar in design. Maybe also look at the Lopi Republic 1750 insert and the Pacific Energy Super insert.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm looking it all up.

With more research, I'm realizing I want a lower heat but long burning insert. Style is not so important. Non-catalytic as I will burn some pitchy pine and don't want to have extra effort. The fireplace is pretty big, 35" in the front, narrowing to 30.5" at 16" of depth, where most inserts seem to stop. 24.5" tall. I will now look to the reviews...

Hi Jsimon,
You’ve got some great advice for the other members of the forum. I will allow myself to add some recommendations to the list. As I have mentioned before in this forum, for me, when talking about inserts, I have a huge favoritism for the Enerzone and Osburn products since they both have the blower included (no need to pay extra to add it) and it is located right in front of the unit! Their easy access mechanism allows you to do your regular cleaning of the blower without having to unscrew anything at all! They both have the high density brick, easy customizable door (overlay system), C-Cast baffles (ceramic cast with better heat reflection and durability than vermiculite), adjustable latch systems and some of the best warranties in the market (lifetime warranties in the glass and stainless secondary air tubes for example).
For the sizes you’re looking for, you can take look at the Enerzone 2.0 or Enerzone2.3, also the Osburn 2000 or if you want something with a bay window, don’t miss the Osburn 1800 or Osburn 2200 units! All these fireboxes qualify for the 30% federal tax credit. Just let me know if you wish to have more information on these products. Best of lucks on your research! All the best!

A catalytic stove should be able to handle the pine just fine. For your climate a cat stove has some nice benefits worth considering. I would at least look at the freestanding Woodstock Keystone as a possible. For non-cat long burn, the PE Pacific series has a good reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.