Cons. Dutchwest Rocky Mountain FA211

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Is this a good stove? I can't seem to find much information on it. It was made in Taiwan, but I hope that isn't too much of a handicap. All gaskets appear to be in good condition along with the rest of the stove.

According to the following guide, my stove was made from 86-90. It's a coal/wood stove with a cat that I will have to replace.

http://www.discountstove.com/cdwidguide.html

Is this stove UL rated? I looked through the owners manuel, it doesn't mention it there. It doesn't appear cast into the stove anywhere, and 95 of the paint off the tag is missing.

Matt

I'm sure BB will weigh in on this one. These were not well built stoves. Pre modern day VC built

Hmm, I was hoping for a different outcome. Were they just not durable or unsafe for some reason?

I guess I will have to look for a better one next year. (After the chimney/hearth area is finished this summer, the budget won't allow a new stove this year.)

Is Harmon the only company that makes wood/coal stoves anymore? One thing I liked about this stove was not being tied down to any single fuel. It seems the more options you have the less you would have to rely on the local power company. I can't see the price of NG going down, trees go down after every storm and a ton of coal doesn't take up too much room.

I could be wrong here but if the stove is listed to burn coal it is not UL listed in terms of wood Also coal stoves are epa exempt.
Meaning they are not listed in the epa catagory for clean and effecient burning of wood.

Also it seems multi fuel stoves are consentrated in the European Market. Coal stoves have bottom air feeds wood top. So it is hard to get the to opperate or excell in burning both fuels Most coal burners will burn wood but that is a secondary objective. All wood only burning wood stoves are not designed to burn coal draft issues air intake locations and most of all different heat charisteristics

You have to take inventory or the availability of a wood supply and determine the amount of work involved. Coal for you may make the most sense.
I would not give up just yet pre 1992 VC Viligants do surface on the used market and some were dual fuel burners. After 1992 the Viligant is strictly a coal stove Yesterday a form member was taking a look at an used VC Encore about 12 years old. Look at craig's list, Ebay, and local clasifieds

Status
Not open for further replies.