Considerations for moving splitter to outside storage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I’ve been fortunate that I had space to store my electric 220v Ramsplitter inside my garage since I bought it new 8 years ago. But I now need the garage space and will have to store it outside. I plan to build a lean-to off the side of a small shed that will cover it from direct rain and sun exposure, although the shed is small so the lean-to won’t afford as much protection as say a larger one on a larger shed/barn. So while I plan to go ahead and do this I’m worried the splitter will begin to degrade from rust, exposure and perhaps critters gnawing on hoses.

Anybody been through this and have any helpful hints?

For what it's worth here's the back side of the shed where I'll make the lean-to. Not ideal as the ground is sloping away but should suffice.

IMG-0353.jpg

Both my splitters live outside under an overhang
I use my gas one every year,haven't used the electric one since i bought it at a garage sale.It was going inside to split the occasional large split,but so far hasn't been needed.

My main homemade wood splitter lived in a open front cattle shed for well over twenty years. Never any issues with it. A few years ago I put a 40X100 pole shed on that farm so the splitter is in that building now.

My splitter has lived outside for 30+ years with only one of the plastic storage totes covering the engine (most of the time), and I only replaced the hoses last year due to cracking on the sheathing. Never had an issue with any of the components except the Briggs engine I wore out after about 8 years because, well, those are pieces of you-know-what compared to the Honda GX series engines I've used ever since. Even changed the hydro fluid 3-4 years ago.

My splitter lives outside under a cover. No issues, other than a bit of mud spatter under it, picked up from splash-back in heavy rains. Same thing I see on my barn doors and siding. To look at my splitter, you'd think it was kept indoors, it's probably coming up on 10 years old.

The only downside is that I do have to buy a new cover every third'ish year, and alter it with my own grommets and bungees to stay in place thru our heavy storms and occasional hurricanes. Also, I can't throw the cover back over a hot splitter, so I need to remember to walk back down to the wood lot and cover the thing an hour after shutting down for the day.

Is this a cover made for your model splitter or a generic cover that might fit mine?

I buy a cheap plastic tote at Wal Mart or the like, throw away the lid and cut a slot in the side to fit over the drive shaft end of the engine. I replace them every 3-4 years after the UV rays break the plastic down, or a buddy borrows the splitter and like Ashful warned above, he put it on a hot muffler and melted it.

DSCN2199.JPG

Is this a cover made for your model splitter or a generic cover that might fit mine?
I checked my Amazon order history, and it appears they last 6 years, unless you put them on a hot muffler. DAMHIKT

Ignore the photo, it covers my entire 22-ton Huskee splitter, including the hitch tongue and the tops of the tires. With the aforementioned added grommets and bungee, it covers the bearing caps and top half of each tire, keeping UV off the tire rubber.

Amazon product ASIN B004QHBVCO

Do yourself a favor and buy a roll of Denso tape, and wrap it around all hydraulic fittings. I used to work on ships, and this stuff worked great to keep the seawater from getting to all the fittings and prevented rust.

Last edited:
My self built electric splitter has lived under a tarp for the last 15 years or so with the motor covered with a plastic bin. While it works fine and the hoses are still good it shows, especially parts of the cut down boat trailer that are uncovered. Any shed open or otherwise would be an improvement

Do yourself a favor and buy a roll of Denso tape, and wrap it around all hydraulic fittings. I used to work on ships, and this stuff worked great to keep the seawater from getting to all the fittings and prevented rust.
Amazing product, but completely overkill for this application. If he keeps a it covered, there's no need to deal with petrolatum tapes.

I've had my splitter for 2 seasons now, and it lives outside under a cover. I bought a "generic" one from Amazon. Other than color fading from UV rays, it works fine. Every once in a while I go out and uncover it or move the cover around to deter critters from nesting, but I haven't had an issue.

I buy a cheap plastic tote at Wal Mart or the like, throw away the lid and cut a slot in the side to fit over the drive shaft end of the engine. I replace them every 3-4 years after the UV rays break the plastic down, or a buddy borrows the splitter and like Ashful warned above, he put it on a hot muffler and melted it.

View attachment 297717
I now use a clear tote. I found a nest started inside the non-clear tote and it seems they don't like the clear material.

Reactions: Ashful
I now use a clear tote. I found a nest started inside the non-clear tote and it seems they don't like the clear material.
This is admittedly, one thing I hate about my splitter cover. I haven't had a single nest under it yet, going on about 8 years now. But I know I've just been uncommonly lucky, it's just a matter of time, it's normal to get paper wasp nests under anything tarped outside around here.

I have had mice eat the foam pre-filter element of my pleated cylinder air filter, and build nests in the air filter box. But never anything more than that , so far. The filter has a galvanized expanded metal cage around it, so that’d be quite a thing for them to chew!

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Mine had lived outside mostly till it got stolen. New one went into a locked garage which is now basically a big woodshed. Insurance paid for the new splitter in full.

that sucks..
I'm surprised your insurance company paid for a full replacement. It seems when they write the policy they say one thing and when it comes time to pay they say another.

I'm surprised your insurance company paid for a full replacement. It seems when they write the policy they say one thing and when it comes time to pay they say another.

it was kevins splitter.. Im lucky to live in a wooded area with not alot of homes..

I would suppose that the insurance company's liability for a splitter, with a padlock installed on the tongue, would be no different than any other trailer parked on your property.

I would suppose that the insurance company's liability for a splitter, with a padlock installed on the tongue, would be no different than any other trailer parked on your property.
That is what I would think. My last call to the IC revealed they did not require a lock or cable. It depends on the contract not the policy summary.

Reactions: Ashful