Considering a used HearthStone, need advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TreeFeller

Jan 23, 2017
Colorado
Hello all, I am in need of some advice. I recently found a used HearthStone Heritage model 8020 for sale on Craigslist. It is 17 years old but looks to be in excellent condition. Seller is asking 350.00$ which seems reasonable to me. Would I be foolish to purchase such an old stove? Do soapstone stoves have a limited life span or could I expect it to last for a while?

I'm not very familiar with soapstone stoves so what do I need to look out for in a used one? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

The price is great if the stove is in very good condition and low usage, but after 17 years I'd be looking closely at the hinges, latch assembly, burn tubes and cracks, especially if it has been used every season. If it has been regularly used it probably would be worth paying more for a new basic steel stove if you can afford it. They can be had for $650-$1000.

Reactions: Highbeam
Thanks for the response. One thing I like about the hearthstone is the low rear clearance. That's a huge bonus because I have a tight install plan. A lot of the lower end steel stoves I've looked at don't have as low of clearances. Are there any you'd recommend?

I'll have to find out about how often the hearthstone was used. That makes a big difference.

The Englander 50 SSW01 (also sold under Summer's Heat brand) is what I was thinking of. Clearances are good.

Reactions: TreeFeller
HS with low rear clearance? Usually only with a Rear Heat shield and double wall pipe..... Most bigger steel stoves have lower clearances being convective predominant while soapstone stoves are largely radiant (although all stoves are a combo radiant/convective). 350 is pretty low for any soapstone stove, if in good condition like BG aforementioned, it would be a good deal. Parts are still readily available, but older HS parts tend to be pricey. But here in New England, that stove would go fast.....

I took a look at the craiglist ad and visually the stove looks great. Were you able to get some interior shots as from the seller?