Considering a used log splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bilzer007

Nov 26, 2014
New Hampshire
I am looking to get some feedback on a Black Diamond 30 ton splitter, Iron & Oak 26 ton unit that has been re-powered with a 9 HP Suzuki motor and a new rod. They want $850 for the Iron and Oak and that is supposed to be made in US and it looks like the Black Diamond is made in China? Not sure if there would be a quality issue. If anyone has any info on either of these much appreciated for any feedback.

Can't speak to the Black Diamond, but they look pretty stout for Chinese. Iron and Oak with a Suzuki would be a very good splitter, if it's not worn out or been abused. Iron and Oak are well built splitters.

I would look at cycle time. 30 ton is alot and normally slow.. My splitter is 22 ton and 11 second cycle time and has split everything. I am mostly oak and have split rounds over 48 inches.. Cycle time is important because you dont want to stand there and wait for the cylinder to move back..

I would look at cycle time. 30 ton is alot and normally slow.. My splitter is 22 ton and 11 second cycle time and has split everything. I am mostly oak and have split rounds over 48 inches.. Cycle time is important because you dont want to stand there and wait for the cylinder to move back..
yes, speed is definitely a factor

Working by your self speed is somewhat over rated. Granted there times you might be waiting on it, but it also not necessary to run a full cycle every time. That said I have a 30 ton unit 24" + a bit stroke. About the only time it runs all the way back is when I am getting a new round. Never timed it. That said , take a carpenter sq with you when going to look, this to see if beam is bent. look at the cylinder rod should not be pitted or all roughed up. as was suggested take a couple pieces with you preferably one with a good-sized knot in it.

My return detent doesn't work so i have to hold the leaver to return.I split by myself.
Every once in a while i think that i should fix the detent then i would save a few seconds while i stack the piece i just split.
But so far fixing the detent hasn't made it to the top of the list.
I am about to start gathering wood and topping up the rows for the winter.
Maybe i will look at it this year...

My return detent doesn't work so i have to hold the leaver to return.I split by myself.
Every once in a while i think that i should fix the detent then i would save a few seconds while i stack the piece i just split.
But so far fixing the detent hasn't made it to the top of the list.
I am about to start gathering wood and topping up the rows for the winter.
Maybe i will look at it this year...
my detent crapped out last year.. i think or the year before.. I just put on a new valve. Ill eventually get around to fixing the other valve..

yep, my detent just went south as well. about 10 years on this valve. I may have already rotated the drum in this one. It is a prince 3000-1. not a big deal, it just doesn't kick to neutral at end of return stroke at present.

I picked up a good condition used Iron & Oak 26 ton splitter. Can anyone comment on this brand and their experiences with it? I am looking for soem "close match" blue paint if anyone has had to repaint theirs and could suggest a paint close to it.

I picked up a good condition used Iron & Oak 26 ton splitter. Can anyone comment on this brand and their experiences with it? I am looking for soem "close match" blue paint if anyone has had to repaint theirs and could suggest a paint close to it.

Congrats on the new American made splitter. Very well made units. Not sure on the color, but looks like a pretty standard blue, a bit like Mopar B7, without the metallics in it. Good luck on the new purchase.

Thanks so much for that info. Much appreciated!

I'd take a few pics of the blue with your phone, and head to your local hardware store and look for a can that matches. I'm willing to bet it's super close to a standard rattle can blue. I'm partial to Painter's touch 2x, either in satin, or semi gloss. That unit was likely powder coated, so give it a light scuff with a scotch bright and wipe it down with some kind of wax and grease remover or rubbing alcohol before spraying.

I'd take a few pics of the blue with your phone, and head to your local hardware store and look for a can that matches. I'm willing to bet it's super close to a standard rattle can blue. I'm partial to Painter's touch 2x, either in satin, or semi gloss. That unit was likely powder coated, so give it a light scuff with a scotch bright and wipe it down with some kind of wax and grease remover or rubbing alcohol before spraying.

Much appreciated!

I am running into a weeping Hydraulic oil issue at the dentent valve where there is a small pin-hole opening. The oil is coming from that pin-hole. Any suggestions to correct this and why it is doing it? Pictures included for reference. 26 Ton Iron & Oak splitter

Attachments

• Valve.JPG
    Valve.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 126
  • pin.JPG
    pin.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 129