Considering the 'STUV' 16 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodstock1976

Feb 24, 2016
Toronto, Canada
Hello all,

I had a crazy old cast iron insert in a basement fireplace and have just finally gotten around to yanking it out and looking to replace with something from this century.

I've have a pacific energy summit in a main floor fireplace which does heat the main floor nicely most of the time on these colder Canadian days. One thing I do notice is that when the insert gets going the furnace won't cycle on which is good but then the basement becomes quite cool after a while of this.

I need something that will do a suitable job of heating the basement and ideally allow heat to travel throughout the house offsetting heating costs.
I know there is no Fan on this insert which is a nice idea especially if there were power outages in winter.

I am very enamored by the STUV 16 insert but am concerned that it isn't as functional as other brands like pacific energy, regency and so on.
The one real issue is that the fireplace has a very narrow hearth so I really need something flush to the stone if not slightly recessed.

Does anyone have suggestions or experiences with STUV, other flush inserts?

The STUV looks to be about 7000$ Canadian $$ installed WETT certified. Compared to the regency Alterra or Pacific Energy Neo which are just about half that.

I can't see the pictures, couldn't you install one that sticks out a bit and put down some ember protection? I'm not at all familiar with that insert.

I wouldn't mind the sticking out so much but there is literally about an inch of ledge from the opening. I'm concerned about the weight overhanging. Here is the pictures of the original insert which was made in the early 70's buy. A local blacksmith.
And obviously the otHer pic is after the insert was removed.

The other measurements were 29 wide, 17 height, and 32 deep.

image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 273
It's designed to be flush and should be installed that way.

If the stuv won't live up to the expectations home offsetting heating needs in winter are there good flush units that are worth the attention?
Does anyone have good experiences with flush units for home heating?

There are lots of folks that like flush units. Some other contemporary inserts are the Morso 5660, the Regency Alterra, Osburn Matrix. But they won't fit due to the 17" height you reported. Is that correct? The opening looks almost square.

You're right the height is 27 not 17 darn chubby fingers.

Are all the flush units more or less the same ? For heating purposes.

Does anyone put a stove in front of the fireplace and run the pipe out the back and up the chimney?
I was just thinking that might be another viable option.....but then I need to know which stoves can have the pipe out the back

A rear-vent stove in front is another good option. The choice limiting factor is the lintel height, but it looks like you gain if the stove is placed lower on the floor. Is that a cement or stone floor in front of the fireplace? Would that be an option?

Status
Not open for further replies.