Convection blower stopped working

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyF

Oct 7, 2008
Maine
I have a two year old Quadrafire Castille Insert. The stove was working fine until yesterday when I started it up and the convection blower never came on.

The startup process seemed to be completely normal;and I could feel heat coming out of the baffles. However the convection blower never started up.

I took off the right side panel to check the control panel/box. I had a red call light;but neither the green or red lights inside the control box were lit.

I shut down the stove with the remote control and let it cool over night. I tried to start it again this morning;and the same thing happened: Exhaust blower came on immediately, pellets dropped as normal and ignited properly, but convection blower never started . I did notice this morning that the green/red lights in the control box never came on .

Can I get some input on what is going on?

Use a meter and see if you have power to the blower as the stove is running.

Eric

I think the real clue is that the red and green temperature sensor lights never came on. That coupled with the fact that the convection fan didn't come on, sounds like to this unprofessional that something is amiss in the control box. I would first UNPLUG the stove, remove the control box, clean the contacts with a pencil eraser, reinsert it, and plug it back in.

As tjnamtiw states to clean and reseat control box is good idea.

Looking at the manual, the thermocouple is the input to the red/green preset lights (control box?). As you say you are getting heat to baffles. If you shut it down and unplug it , can check if thermocouple is ok at
wiring block ( do you have a manual, or download it ). It should read a very low ohm on resistance range.

Other than than, would check the snap disc#1 which turns convection blower on/off.

Yea, it's almost like there are two problems. One.... the thermocouple isn't giving a reading to the box (but then a bad thermocouple, I think, flashes a yellow light). Two..... like you said, the snap disk isn't closing to turn on fan. Like Eric said, it''s easy enough to see if you have power to the snap disc. If not, then it should be the control box. With both things happening at once sure is a good clue for someone WHO KNOWS how to service them. :)

When it started up and it fed the initial one minute's worth of pellets, did it ever feed any more pellets? It should NOT have if the green light never came on. That would be a very important answer to go further in the troubleshooting.

Wood Heat Stoves said:
The best way to troubleshoot a problem like this is to follow the troubleshooting procedure from the manufacturers service manual. This manual has a section - CONVECTION BLOWER TROUBLE-SHOOTING

http://woodheatstoves.com/quadrafire-castile-insert-service-manual-p-12034.html

Yea, that the best way IF you are lucky enough to have the elusive Test Box. :) Of course, it can point you in the right direction, if you are mechanically/electrically inclined. Let's face it, the convection blower circuit is dirt simple and anyone with a lick of sense should be able to troubleshoot it. Again, what compounds his problem is the fact that the green light never comes on to indicate 200 degrees has been met so that the auger sequence starts. That's why I asked my last question. If the thermocouple has moved back away from the end of the ceramic cover, it won't sense the heat, it won't feed anymore pellets, and the stove will never get hot enough to trip the convection blower snap switch. It could be something as simple as that but we haven't gotten enough info/response to really help him.

Dont quads have a 2 year electrical warranty or am I remembering wrong. If you were my customer I would have hoped that you would have called me by now to at least talk me thru some stuff if not fix it under warranty.

Franks said:
Dont quads have a 2 year electrical warranty or am I remembering wrong. If you were my customer I would have hoped that you would have called me by now to at least talk me thru some stuff if not fix it under warranty.

Yes, it's 2 years on electrical parts. Mine is up in May. Don't know when the OP bought his. He has never even come back since his initial post, so we really don't even know his status. Who knows if his dealer is even in business anymore? Quad won't talk to you so you are basically screwed if there isn't another dealer that will help you. What a way to run a business!

MAN, I hate when someone comes on with a problem and asks for solutions. We all jump in with possibilities and try to narrow it down by asking questions and the OP never comes back! GRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

tjnamtiw said:
MAN, I hate when someone comes on with a problem and asks for solutions. We all jump in with possibilities and try to narrow it down by asking questions and the OP never comes back! GRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Yep,know what you mean, would like to find out what solved the problem.
Also, I thought your technical questions and responses were very impressive.

UncleAnthony said:
tjnamtiw said:

Yep,know what you mean, would like to find out what solved the problem.
Also, I thought your technical questions and responses were very impressive.

Thanks, man, from everyone who tries to help. Some of them have a lot more experience than I do but I try. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.