Q&A Converting an insert to a stand alone

QandA Posted By QandA, Oct 5, 2001 at 2:20 PM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QandA

    New Member 2.
    Staff Member

    Nov 27, 2012

    I have a fireplace insert (pellet) that doesn't get a lot of use in it's current location. I'd like to convert it to a stand alone unit and place in the family room. Are there are kits available to do this? What difficulties could I expect to run into?


    Don, in most cases this cannot properly be done. The insert is a completely different unit than a freestanding stove. These differences are in venting, mounting, protection around the unit, hopper design and other factors. There are one or two units on the market which did use the same body for insert and stove, and these could be converted with the proper parts...contact the maker of your unit to find out if yours was one.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page