Convince me its okay to burn pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have burned wood for more than a decade, but this is only my third year with a stove. I mostly burn ash and oak, but last winter we lost a big pine in one of the ice storms. I cut it, split it and stacked it (well away from my main wood stacks,) and it seems pretty dry (I have not put a meter on it yet) but it has these giant pockets of sap that just scare the heck out of me.

I know a lot of you guys up north, and at high elevations burn pine without hesitation. If you were me, would you burn it? I probably have the better part of a cord stacked.

someone in here once said, "I live in an area with only pine. you think I import oak??"

dry it and use it

Just threw some pine splits in. I have not mutated yet.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
I burn 90% spruce, 10% birch.

How do you split that spruce? I had a neighborhood tree guy leave some spruce rounds and I find my hydraulic splitter just obliterates the knots. There isn't a single straight piece leftover. It looks like I split it with dynamite. I don't think I'm going to bother splitting and stacking the rest of the spruce, as I have plenty of oak and white pine.

How do you split that spruce? I had a neighborhood tree guy leave some spruce rounds and I find my hydraulic splitter just obliterates the knots. There isn't a single straight piece leftover. It looks like I split it with dynamite. I don't think I'm going to bother splitting and stacking the rest of the spruce, as I have plenty of oak and white pine.

Knots burn great. Full of pitch usually.