Cooking thread, anyone?

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Fresh pie cherries are ripening and the birds left some for us this year. That means cherry pie and oh my how I have missed you.
cherry pie.jpg

SpaceBus

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2018
Downeast Maine
Begreen, we finally cooked with electrons last night, NC style pulled pork in the oven. It was in the 60's outside so it only raised the house temp a few degrees, but it was pleasant anyway. I'll probably make a bread loaf soon.

EODMSgt

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2018
White Mountain Region, NH
Hard to believe bear season is just a couple months away. I need to make some room in the freezer so I'll be cooking this recipe again in a couple days. Doesn't get much simpler for a recipe and it's great ladled over egg noodles or rice.

Crock Pot Bear Roast:
1 bear roast
1 stick of butter
3 bacon slices (chopped up)
Yellow pepperoncini (amount depends on personal taste)
I pack dry Au Jus mix
1 pack dry ranch seasoning
Throw it in a crockpot on low all day and enjoy.

Reactions: SpaceBus

PaulOinMA

Minister of Fire
Oct 20, 2018
MA
Cherry pie is my favorite fruit pie.

Making the following today. Will cook diced chicken in a skillet for the recipe. Have wraps instead of pita.

Easy Greek Tzatziki Chicken Salad

Prep Time: 15 mins
Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup reduced fat greek yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 medium cucumber, chopped
  • 4 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
  • 6 cherry tomatoes, quartered
  • 1/2 medium onion, chopped
  • 3 oz feta cheese, crumbled
  • 1/4 cup kalamata olives, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
  • Kosher salt, to taste
  • 6 pitas, for serving
Instructions
  1. In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the pitas and mix well. Chill until ready to serve, at least 30 minutes.
  2. Serve on pita bread.

Reactions: begreen

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
Foothills of The Adirondacks
I just had kidney beans (drained) in stewed tomatoes with garlic,red pepper flakes,pepper, warmed up with some pecorino romano cheese sprinkled on top before you eat it. I also had a hot tomato salad, sliced up a tomato, add salt,red pepper flakes, oregano with some olive oil.

DuaeGuttae

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2016
Texas
So many delicious-looking and -sounding foods on this page alone.

@begreen, that pie looked beautiful.

@PaulOinMA, I’ve had tzatziki on the brain since last week when I made a fresh batch (about a gallon) of yogurt. I have three slicing cucumbers almost ready to pick in the garden, and I’ll use at least one for that. I’m not sure if I’ll make it into a chicken salad or not, but it sounds yummy. I’ve also made BLT chicken salad before, and that was a big hit with my kids.

My daughter made a request yesterday for butternut squash soup. I had squash in the freezer and six cups of homemade broth in the fridge that needed to be used or frozen, and it was sweltering today, so it seemed a good opportunity. My kids loved it, as it’s usually part of our Thanksgiving dinner, so it seemed like a feast to them.

I used this recipe for the most part with some necessary changes for our sensitivities. Sensitivities aside, I also recommend not using the “2 tsps hot sauce” step, as “hot sauce” seems to be quite a variable term, and I did once ruin a batch using too hot a sauce. I use a little sprinkle of ground red pepper instead. The soup itself is tasty, but the relish definitely takes it up a notch.

https://www.rachaelray.com/recipes/pumpkin-soup-with-chili-cran-apple-relish/

I first had this soup at a dinner party years ago that was put on by some students at the school where I taught. The whole meal was amazing, but this soup stood out to everyone, and they ended up printing up and handing out recipes to all the teachers who were there.

Inspired by @SpaceBus, I also cooked some pulled pork in the crock pot today. (The pork cooked in a vinegar sauce, and once I shredded it I put it back in the crock pot with loquat barbecue sauce I made a couple of months ago.) I baked hamburger buns on our gas grill to keep the heat out of the kitchen, and served up the meal with cole slaw.

9FF5FE12-31DE-40E3-BD67-1128F930CE2E.jpeg C30C8495-166B-4E16-BFD4-CB289C6F9B1A.jpeg

The good news about all this cooking is that now I also have a couple of meals of leftovers in the fridge.

SpaceBus

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2018
Downeast Maine
Pulled pork and butternut squash soup sound sublime. We ordered a crock pot, finally. Turns out I don't like making broth in the summer, should be a good job for the crock pot. It also can pressure cook and has a rice setting.

DuaeGuttae

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2016
Texas
Pulled pork and butternut squash soup sound sublime. We ordered a crock pot, finally. Turns out I don't like making broth in the summer, should be a good job for the crock pot. It also can pressure cook and has a rice setting.
I make a lot of bone broths and have found that I prefer the pressure cooker over the crock pot for them. My pressure cooker is a simple stove-top one, not integrated with the crock pot. I’ve never used one of those multi-function machines, though I have a friend who swears by hers. It might be worth investigating the pressure cooking feature for making broth.

(Also, I meant to say that the weather wasn’t sweltering yesterday, which made it a good day for soup, and I just noticed that I said it was sweltering. Oops.)

Reactions: SpaceBus

PaulOinMA

Minister of Fire
Oct 20, 2018
MA
Nan was out of shortcake. She asked if I could help her with the next batch. She cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender. I use my hands for scones unless there is a lot of butter to cut in. They come out better.

She was out of strawberries, and I said that we have ripe peaches. I peeled and diced half a peach. She really liked peach shortcake. :)

Attachments