Cooking thread, anyone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The Milk Chocolate Brownies recipe from the same Farm Journal cookbook are very, very easy to throw together, and always a big hit. Not a gooey brownie, and not a blondie. In between.

The mac and cheese recipe I also posted above is from Sylvia's of Harlem and also easily found on he internet. I just scale it up to a 1-lb. box of casserole elbows. :)

Reactions: SpaceBus
Sugar cookies were mentioned. Here's a really good recipe from an old Farm Journal cookbook, which I mentioned in the Comments section..

Looks like I'll be getting some cream of tartar

I have to make cinnamon rolls soon. Just one left in the freezer. I make two trays at a time, 24 cinnamon rolls. The trays freeze very well.

I just use the standard recipe a lot of folks post. I found it on a Dutch oven cooking web site from aBoy Scout troop from Texas. Been making them since 2007. Have made them over 150 times. :)

I posted the recipe I follow on the old recipezaar.com. It's now ...

We did some shopping this morning so the cinnamon buns will be made before the ice hits along with some shrimp marinara.

This thread is killing me. I have to wipe the drool off of my keyboard.
That’s how I feel when you post pictures of your garden produce, Begreen.

We’ve been enjoying crumpets made with discard sourdough starter the last couple of days for our breakfasts.
748F666B-9E07-48E1-8BFF-FDD472D1AD1C.jpeg

I need to do some cooking for today and into the next week but am lacking inspiration. Great northern bean soup did catch my eye, though, as I have a bag in the pantry and a ham bone in the freezer.

Turkey breast, rubbed and ready for a slow cook on the stove. My wife finally conceded to let me use the Le Creuset dutch oven.

turkey on stove.jpg

Great topic! I love to cook/bake :)

I found a site for bread bakers if y'all are curious: www.thefreshloaf.com Tons and gobs of information. There's even
an wood fired baking thread.

and a question:
have any of y'all used one of these on their woodburner? I'm wondering if they really work as
they're supposed to....

1578918199920.png

Last edited:
Reactions: thewoodlands
Great topic! I love to cook/bake :)

I found a site for bread bakers if y'all are curious: www.thefreshloaf.com Tons and gobs of information. There's even
an wood fired baking thread.

and a question:
have any of y'all used one of these on their woodburner? I'm wondering if they really work as
they're supposed to....

View attachment 255182
Is that some kind of stove top oven? If so maybe a wood stove gets hot enough.

I made some whole grain crackers yesterday evening as an experiment. My wife liked them, so I consider that to be a success. Perhaps today I'll make a larger batch. It was actually so mild the last few days I've been able to heat exclusively with the wood cooker!

Reactions: ispinwool
Crackers is something I haven't done. Have you done them before? Would you do them again?

Crackers is something I haven't done. Have you done them before? Would you do them again?
Yesterday was the first time, and yes I would do them again. Some weren't as thin and stayed more bread like. I also tried to use both racks and I wish I had done one pan at a time. Every cracker was eaten. The recipe was super simple, for my test I used 1 cup of whole grain flour, 1/3 cup water, a sprinkle of salt. Next time I plan to make twice as many, maybe even tonight.

Is that some kind of stove top oven? If so maybe a wood stove gets hot enough.
Coleman makes this. $36 on Amazon. Winterwell makes one that folds flat for storage. It's made of stainless and has a window, about $115.
Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 11.02.52 AM.png

Our stove provides a nice consistent ~350º on the trivet top during the long coaling stage, so this might work for our stove.

Last edited:
Coleman makes this. $36 on Amazon. Winterwell makes one that folds flat for storage. It's made of stainless and has a window, about $115.
View attachment 255189

Our stove provides a nice consistent ~350º on the trivet top during the long coaling stage, so this might work for our stove.

I'd probably go with the cheap one just in case I can't get it to cooperate. LOL
And I'd be worried that it might make a mark on my soapstone too...

I might try that Coleman bread box. It would make baking with wood outdoors easier.

My father bought my mother a stovetop oven when I was a little kid. I remember her using it on occasion, but I don’t think she preferred it, and it eventually broke in some way. She heats with a Lange from the early 1970’s and to this day almost every day uses the stovetop to cook or warm something like soups or her homegrown vegetables that she’s frozen or canned. I remember using a cast iron griddle on top of the stove to cook her homemade tortillas. She may just have had the stovetop too busy to want to give the space to the oven.

I was remembering her tortillas over the weekend when I was rolling out my own. (I had planned to make a batch of pocket bread but managed to spill the last little bit of yeast I had and needed a new plan). The tortillas turned out great but we’re far from as round as I remember my mother’s being.

I’ve made homemade crackers for years. I particularly like making graham-type crackers and sourdough crackers (they taste like Cheezits). I use my flat stoneware and roll and cut the crackers directly on the surface. I tend to use lower gluten flour than modern wheat, and that helps with my fragile dough, and it’s easier to deal with rolling it thin enough. I tend to make crackers to take when we need picnic food.

Tonight’s dinner was chicken with a not-too-sweet orange sauce served with cauliflower and rice. It was a hit, but the problem is that I don’t have enough for a meal of leftovers for tomorrow’s lunch. I wonder if I can manage more drumsticks in my slow cooker for a future attempt.2D326E6D-47CC-4C68-8211-F709861BC57A.jpeg

The wife did make the cinnamon buns along with chili and cheese soup before the ice storm was suppose to hit, once the chili is gone I'll make the shrimp marinara sauce.

Attachments

• IMG_9981.JPG
    IMG_9981.JPG
    390.2 KB · Views: 239
Tonight’s dinner was chicken with a not-too-sweet orange sauce served with cauliflower and rice. It was a hit, but the problem is that I don’t have enough for a meal of leftovers for tomorrow’s lunch. I wonder if I can manage more drumsticks in my slow cooker for a future attempt.View attachment 255210
We're on the same wavelength. I made honey-orange-bourbon chicken in the dutch oven on the stove today. Served over rice with broccoli. It came out great. Definitely worth repeating. I should have gotten a picture, there were no leftovers.
I used this basic recipe, but with fresh orange juice instead of apple juice and a few tweaks of my own. It was done in 2 hrs.

We're on the same wavelength. I made honey-orange-bourbon chicken in the dutch oven on the stove today. Served over rice with broccoli. It came out great. Definitely worth repeating. I should have gotten a picture, there were no leftovers.
I used this basic recipe, but with fresh orange juice instead of apple juice and a few tweaks of my own. It was done in 2 hrs.

We were on the same wavelength no doubt. I was juicing the oranges and missing all those satsumas we had last year on our tree (it’s strongly alternate bearing). I would have preferred broccoli with the meal, but it’s too high in (natural, healthy) food chemicals for our allergic child. I love that you can slow cook on your stovetop. My mom keeps piece of soapstone (she’s a native Vermonter) on her stove for when she wants a slower heating pot.

Chocolate isn’t usually my first choice, but somehow a fresh-from-the-wood-fired-cookstove cookie would really hit the spot right now. Alas, no cookies and no fires around here tonight.
Usually I'm not one much for chocolate but brownies were requested. Unfortunately we don't have a good brownie pan so I found this recipe!

It's not a true Shrimp Marinara sauce but the wife loved it, I make my regular spaghetti sauce and then add the shrimp after the sauce has cooked for an hour.

Attachments

• IMG_9998.JPG
    IMG_9998.JPG
    325.7 KB · Views: 225
We're trying some chicken,potatoes with onions that will be cooked in a chicken broth after we brown the chicken and boil the potatoes some, my Italian grandmother had the right twist on this dish.

We're shooting from the hip on this recipe, if it comes out bad I'll post it! ;lol