Cooking thread, anyone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hard to beat a good ribeye.
DF54E705-BBC7-4990-9DB0-7F4EB7AAB4C8.jpeg

First time attempt at making bagels. Looking good and the house smells great. Waiting for them to cool down now.

View attachment 266831

Those look delicious, begreen. I'm impressed (and so was my four year old who saw your picture and said, "Those are some awesome goodies.") I made some pretzels last night for the first time in a long, long time. I even had a hard time remembering how to fold them. We ate them with a mustard cheese dipping sauce and cauliflower on the side.

Attachments

• BFB6CA3F-6BE5-4EB2-B6AC-88D6F8229AE5.jpeg
    BFB6CA3F-6BE5-4EB2-B6AC-88D6F8229AE5.jpeg
    194.7 KB · Views: 133
Reactions: moresnow
The bagels turned out to be a success. I will definitely make them again, soon.

I haven't made pretzels. Looks intriguing and tasty.

Bagels look great.

My wife likes salt bagels, which are hard to find here in MA. Much more a New York bagel.

Toasted garlic bagel with butter. Yum. :)

Attachments

• 001 - Copy.JPG
    001 - Copy.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 146
Reactions: ispinwool
Barbequed Saturday to put some in the freezer. Two flank steaks and a tri-tip. Pretty quick. Mustard and onion and garlic dry rub from Karen Putman's BBQ book.

Let it cool overnight and cut into 4-oz. pieces for the freezer. Plastic wrap, then freezer paper. Labeled and put in freezer. Picture is the tri-tip before freezer paper and labeling. Set for a while. :)

Piles of kindling off the corner of the driveway.

Attachments

• IMG_2264 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2264 - Copy.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_2267 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2267 - Copy.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_2276 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2276 - Copy.JPG
    176.8 KB · Views: 141
Pizza Night here. This one came out well. Homemade garden sauce, top-quality mozzarella, and garden herbs made a very tasty pizza.

Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 8.22.36 PM.png

Cooked a 15 lb bird in little under 2 hrs today. Unfortunately it ended up getting carved while I was working on mashed potatoes, so no pics of the finished product, but there were no complaints at the table.

Attachments

• IMG_20201126_090639_8.jpg
    IMG_20201126_090639_8.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_20201126_091036_4.jpg
    IMG_20201126_091036_4.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_20201126_091159_4CS.jpg
    IMG_20201126_091159_4CS.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 150
nice job prof. did you get any smoke into it? im a city boy i never had smoked turkey until a friend of mine decided to do it. that hasn't happened again and that was about 30 years ago but it was so good. sorry just dreaming.

Attachments

• IMG_2277 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2277 - Copy.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 129
nice job prof. did you get any smoke into it? im a city boy i never had smoked turkey until a friend of mine decided to do it. that hasn't happened again and that was about 30 years ago but it was so good. sorry just dreaming.
We take the lid off for the last 20 min to make the skin crispy. At that point there isn't much smoke, so we don't get a smoky flavor. I know what you are saying about smoked turkey--I started making smoked turkey legs in the grill (AKA caveman pops).

Thanks for telling us about your turkey, @Prof. With cooking times like that, it made me wonder how quickly you manage pizza in that oven. 2 minutes?

Today was a pretty full cooking day for me (along with schooling three of my children). We had a big harvest of satsuma mandarins from a tree in our backyard this weekend. (We would have liked to have left them on the tree longer, but a very hard freeze threatened, and we didn't want to lose them.) I was therefore today doing some juicing of oranges and some recipes with that juice.

4CECB8B3-3391-4149-8B8F-41353BA5B4EE.jpeg

This is our "back-up" refrigerator in our garage. It's been unplugged for months as it can't keep things cool enough consistently, but it can do chilling oranges when the garage is cool. We have been and will continue to give oranges away, but you can see why I need to come up with some ways to use and preserve these.

My first was marmalade. I managed to make two different messes while cooking it, but it turned out. I used mostly juice and peel in this. I think I'll try to make the peel finer in future batches and include a bit more pulp.

407CD6F0-D823-4B71-82E7-0BC663FD45D3.jpeg
(Here's a shot of the batch of English muffins I made so that we would be prepared for breakfast tomorrow. Six of them went towards Canadian bacon and cheese sandwiches for lunch today. The side was cabbage and tomato from our fall garden.)
66163B5F-5ACD-4894-9CE1-034F79B4438D.jpeg

Dinner tonight was orange chicken. My husband did cut up all that meat for me, but I breaded and fried it and coated it in the orange sauce. We ate it with rice and cauliflower. It was a hit. Thankfully there are leftovers for tomorrow.

15A90F9D-CFE8-4C47-BBDA-AC6B0BE0E1D9.jpeg

That would be a hit here too. My son loves orange chicken.

That would be a hit here too. My son loves orange chicken.

I actually scrolled back through this thread last night to find a recipe you had posted here a while back. I ended up finding a different one for tonight in order to use more orange juice. Maybe you can try this one out for your son while oranges are in season. (The recipe deep fries the meat; I did more of a pan fry.) The sauce turned out really well. (I used fresh garlic and ginger and red pepper as well.)

Thanks for telling us about your turkey, @Prof. With cooking times like that, it made me wonder how quickly you manage pizza in that oven. 2 minutes?

Today was a pretty full cooking day for me (along with schooling three of my children). We had a big harvest of satsuma mandarins from a tree in our backyard this weekend. (We would have liked to have left them on the tree longer, but a very hard freeze threatened, and we didn't want to lose them.) I was therefore today doing some juicing of oranges and some recipes with that juice.

View attachment 268322

This is our "back-up" refrigerator in our garage. It's been unplugged for months as it can't keep things cool enough consistently, but it can do chilling oranges when the garage is cool. We have been and will continue to give oranges away, but you can see why I need to come up with some ways to use and preserve these.

My first was marmalade. I managed to make two different messes while cooking it, but it turned out. I used mostly juice and peel in this. I think I'll try to make the peel finer in future batches and include a bit more pulp.

View attachment 268321
(Here's a shot of the batch of English muffins I made so that we would be prepared for breakfast tomorrow. Six of them went towards Canadian bacon and cheese sandwiches for lunch today. The side was cabbage and tomato from our fall garden.)
View attachment 268324

Dinner tonight was orange chicken. My husband did cut up all that meat for me, but I breaded and fried it and coated it in the orange sauce. We ate it with rice and cauliflower. It was a hit. Thankfully there are leftovers for tomorrow.

View attachment 268323
Yeah 1-2 minutes for a pizza. Any longer that and it's charcoal.

I actually scrolled back through this thread last night to find a recipe you had posted here a while back. I ended up finding a different one for tonight in order to use more orange juice. Maybe you can try this one out for your son while oranges are in season. (The recipe deep fries the meat; I did more of a pan fry.) The sauce turned out really well. (I used fresh garlic and ginger and red pepper as well.)

Thanks. We'll have to try it.

4E4FFD70-10A2-4776-B25A-EB62CB06ADE5.jpeg

We had a little feast last night. We have a "prize jar" in our house that comes out for notable achievements or contributions, and my eight year old won our family spelling bee a couple of weeks ago. Her prize from the jar was "a lunch or dinner of your choice," and yesterday was a good time for me to fulfill that prize. We had French onion soup and Caesar salad. (The older children thought some grilled chicken would be good, too, so we offered it, but most people didn't eat it as the salad ended up being almost a meal in itself.) I made baguettes to accompany the soup, and used one to make garlic croutons for the salad. They were a hit.

I didn't used the traditional method of emulsifying egg yolks in my salad bowl, instead using leftover homemade mayonnaise that was already in my refrigerator. I was pretty impressed with the recipe for a Caesar-type dressing, and I plan to use it in the future as a dip as well. (I used balsamic vinegar as a substitute for prepared worcestershire, and I just blended everything with my stick blender.) My kids really loved it.

Now that the chill is gripping through the country, its time for some easily made, great tasting biscuits.
Preheat oven to 500 deg f (if cooking with cast iron preheat skillet)
In a bowel 1 & 3/4 cup self rising flour, 1.5 tsp salt
Mix in 1 cup of heavy cream and fold dough over a few time making a ball
Lay ball on flat surface and roll out to 1/2 thick, depending on what you use biscuit cutter size wise this will yield 4 -6 biscuits
Coat top of biscuit in melted butter for golden brown effect, place on baking sheet or preheated cast iron pan, bake for 8.5 - 9min
take out of over and place on cold plate, serve when your ready.
Its simple, easy and pretty filling, great for breakfast, or and excellent addition to your favorite soup on that cold snowy day.

kennyp what do you like on your biscuits. i'm from the north and never had biscuits so please excuse my ignorance

thanks
frank

Cooked a 15 lb bird in little under 2 hrs today. Unfortunately it ended up getting carved while I was working on mashed potatoes, so no pics of the finished product, but there were no complaints at the table.
I didn't realize your built in oven was direct flame! Must make for some very interesting flavors.

We culled five roosters about a week ago and cooked two of them. The first one was not brined long enough and was a bit tough. Number two through five were all brined for at least 24 hours and the second rooster we cooked was just as tasty but amazingly tender. We still have five roosters to cull, probably going to do it next week.
The pic is the first bird I slaughtered and roasted. The rest have their legs tucked under a piece of skin instead of having them up in the air.

Attachments

• DSCF0142.JPG
    DSCF0142.JPG
    252.2 KB · Views: 117
nice job on the chicken boy i'm glad i check this site out late everything looks so good and that chicken is making me hungry

Reactions: SpaceBus
I may ask you for some feathers. Our cats go crazy when we play with a duck or turkey feather I find in the yard.

Reactions: SpaceBus