Cookstoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
There is a line of j a Roby stoves with a 2 gallon reservoir, but the big cookstove that I’m looking at (cuisiniere) does not seem to have that option unfortunately, but it is available locally with a short delivery time, so it may be the choice we make. My hubby also likes the looks of it a lot.
Find some folks that have owned one for awhile. Besides an even temperature oven, an important feature of a cookstove is how easy it is clean the inner passages of buildup soot and sote. This is somewhat difficult with some stoves and easier on others.

Reactions: SpaceBus
There is a line of j a Roby stoves with a 2 gallon reservoir, but the big cookstove that I’m looking at (cuisiniere) does not seem to have that option unfortunately, but it is available locally with a short delivery time, so it may be the choice we make. My hubby also likes the looks of it a lot.
I see now that I was thinking about the Cicero. The price on the Cuisinere is also significantly higher than the Flameview if that matters. Seems like a nice unit, probably more popular in Canada than the US. Most of the cookstove information and reviews I've gathered have been from the US and JA Roby is rarely, if ever, mentioned. I waited for several weeks to get all of my cookstove install components, and it was worth it to get everything I wanted. If you were considering a more contemporary design, the Heco 520 could be a good choice and in the size class you are looking at.

The Cuisiniere is actually the same price as the flame view here- cheaper than the flame view with a warming oven and reservoir, actually...
I’ve tried to find reviews of the cuisiniere or owners even, but they seem to be hard to find- I’ve only found a couple, most from people who just installed them
Usually we would consider American stoves more, but the closed border means we can’t just go across and pick up at a depot like we used to, and the freight charges sure add up, plus exchange of course! The quote I got on the kitchen queen was $2800 higher than the other two we’ve been considering, and they say 8-10 weeks before it ships :/
It’s an interesting journey, trying to make a good decision about this!

The Cuisiniere is actually the same price as the flame view here- cheaper than the flame view with a warming oven and reservoir, actually...
I’ve tried to find reviews of the cuisiniere or owners even, but they seem to be hard to find- I’ve only found a couple, most from people who just installed them
Usually we would consider American stoves more, but the closed border means we can’t just go across and pick up at a depot like we used to, and the freight charges sure add up, plus exchange of course! The quote I got on the kitchen queen was $2800 higher than the other two we’ve been considering, and they say 8-10 weeks before it ships :/
It’s an interesting journey, trying to make a good decision about this!
Since the price difference is fairly close, then I would go with the Flameview, it's a proven design that can definitely be the primary house heat. I believe there is also a summer grate option, which I would definitely suggest on any large cookstove.