Cool and damp here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Rivers

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
NW Oregon
Got up this morning to some fairly cool weather and rain falling on and off.

Not quite cool enough for a fire, but almost. Was 68 in the house this morning, supposed to hit upper 60's to 70 F today with showers, so I decided not to build a fire.

Strange summer so far. Had a few days in the mid 80's F but its still cooling down to lower 50's F at night.

Here it is the middle of July and we have not had any really hot weather yet.

AC has been on and off a few days but not the usual heavy running.

Certainly not the hot scorcher that some parts of the country are seeing.

Snowy

You better hush.. :bug: It's freaking hot as crap here. I was outside last night at 10pm, it was 80 degrees and the humidity was 90%.

Supposed to be in the upper 90's today with a heat index of 106.

summer2011forecast_JJA2011.png

GrahamInVa said:
You better hush.. :bug: It's freaking hot as crap here. I was outside last night at 10pm, it was 80 degrees and the humidity was 90%.

Supposed to be in the upper 90's today with a heat index of 106.

It was 82 °F here in the Hudson Valley at 10:30 last night, and still 77 °F this morning at 5:45am......YIKES! :gulp:

52F this morning and been raining off and on since about midnight.

Yesterday was really nice with the high of about 70F and broken clouds.
Forcast is for showers today and still unseasonably cool.

Looks like the La NINA is still with us here.

No need for a fire but its pretty ugly looking outside, what with the clouds rolling through.

We are at 1200 ft and when any system is in, we are in the slop.

Hope we see some real summer soon. (more than 3 days without a shower) I want to restain my deck and it still has not dried out long enough to do anything.
Have family traveling in Norway, and just got a text mssg a few minutes ago, Lovely weather and nice and warm over there.

Well stove season is coming, just a few short months away

Snowy

Snowy Rivers said:
52F this morning and been raining off and on since about midnight.

Hope we see some real summer soon. (more than 3 days without a shower) I want to restain my deck and it still has not dried out long enough to do anything.

Snowy

I've been trying to work on mine also. Problem is the instructions on the can say the deck must be dry for a few day, must not do unless the temp is above 50, must not do unless no rain predicted for 4 or more days, and must not apply the product in direct sunlight. Now how in the.... am I to do this?

Hmmmm, Sounds like the key word here is DON'T

Yesterday we had rain all day, barely made 70F
Broke many records for rainfall too. We had almost an inch of rain on Sunday, which is more than the normal total for the entire month.

Normally, by now the grass in the fields would be brown and things would be pretty dry.
Not this year, the fields are still quite green and after yesterdays gulley washer, the fields will green back up quite a bit more.

This means that we are going to have to MOW the grass some more. AAAARRRRRRGGGGGH

Been a strange Summer for sure. We are cool and damp and the rest of the country is baking.

I almost built a fire in the little stove yesterday morning, but then decided that it was really not needed. Was 67F in the house and that slowly warmed up to about 70F by afternoon.

Today is supposed to make 80F then rain again for Tues and Wed.

If this drip drip drip does not cease, I will not get the deck done.

May just pressure/hot wash it and call it good. Just getting the green crud off will help a lot.

Ahhh well, such is life

Snowy

Pictured is the only place I be making fires over the next couple months.
Enjoy the cool weather up there while it lasts. You're bound to get
some of the scorching crap your way at some point in the game.
firepit-1.jpg

Well ya never know.

We are almost done with July and we have yet to get above the low 80's F

Today is supposed to be mid 70's F with showers, then maybe more rain moving in tomorrow night and then again late sunday.

I really like the cooler weather, but it makes it tough to try and do my work on the deck and such.

August/sept could be Hot, ya never know.

Snowy

Snowy Rivers said:
Well ya never know.

We are almost done with July and we have yet to get above the low 80's F

Today is supposed to be mid 70's F with showers, then maybe more rain moving in tomorrow night and then again late sunday.

I really like the cooler weather, but it makes it tough to try and do my work on the deck and such.

August/sept could be Hot, ya never know.

Snowy

Below normal temp's this summer for sure. The cool, wet spring has really helped the dry land farmers. Good pea crop and wheat is late, but looks like an above average crop.

We usually get a blocking high that keeps the on-shore flow way north of us, but it just did not develop, and it may not this year.

Today it feels like fall. Cool and breezy. I hope the frost holds off 'til October to let me get a few tomatoes from my struggling plants.

Nonetheless, I am putting up 3.5 tons of Blue Mt pellets. They are left overs from last year and the local coop agreed to sell them to me at $184/ton delivered. The Mgr wants to clear out the warehouse before she puts in a new order.

Hottest day on record here today...

not just for today's date-- but ever.

103 at Bradley international airport.

I had 3 digital thermometers and one hung up outside thermometer that read 100, none in direct sun. Checked the garden and found the tips of my pea vines burned from the hot sun. First time for that here. Official reported temp was not 100, but it sure was here! Dogs stayed inside and sat in front of the fan. One more day of this then forecast for 80's. Not your usual Maine temps. Pellet season is more tolerable, but for now, no rush!

Status
Not open for further replies.