Corn burner questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
On the spare parts for my St Croix note I keep a circuit board, comb. motor, both snap switches and a rebuilt dist blower. I figured out how to disassemble it and replace bearings. Oh yeah, I have a extra Greenfield in the basement that I bought right to resell that I have not got around to selling:). And I am a Harman tech so I have stocked service truck in the garage:cool:.

On the pellet mix note, I burn straight corn thru my St Croix. Stove requires a clinker drop every 1.5 days. Clinker is dropped on the fly using the coal rake. Takes a couple minutes. I have gone weeks without shutting the stove down. I just open door and brush the glass off with a natural bristle paint brush daily so I can see the fire.

Reactions: woodnomore
I don't mind pulling the pan every day, I can do a hot dump and have the stove back up and running in under 5 minutes. I am still in my first year burning corn and any effort it takes to keep the stove running is a fraction of what it took to heat with wood.

Can’t jumper a thermocouple. That would be a good standby spare to have along with a auger motor.

Can’t jumper a thermocouple. That would be a good standby spare to have along with a auger motor.

Is the thermocouple a normally open or normally closed sensor? No it is not but I do have a simulator that I could plug into the circuit to bypass a bad thermocouple.

Yes you can do a bypass with a tc tester/simulator. Not to many have one lol

Yes you can do a bypass with a tc tester/simulator. Not to many have one lol

Have them at work I have a key to get in if needed. I am used to NO NC sensors 4 to 20 MA sensors and pulse. Know more about thermal overloads rather than thermocouples. Heck I just need to make it till May with the stove and then I am out.

Mine is old and in need of calibration, but i only use it to sim a tc. Bench testing quad boards