corner install why less clearance requirements?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greythorn3

Minister of Fire
Oct 8, 2007
Alaska
wheelordie.com
ok i switched from parallel to wall install to a corner install, the stove has a clearance of 24" on sides to combustibles, but then when its a corner install its only 15"??? why would you not need the 24" like you do if you were to install it parallel to the wall instead?

how come they are reduced form 24" to 15"?? its a NCH-30 englander.

SKip

greythorn3 said:
ok i switched from parallel to wall install to a corner install, the stove has a clearance of 24" on sides to combustibles, but then when its a corner install its only 15"??? why would you not need the 24" like you do if you were to install it parallel to the wall instead?

how come they are reduced form 24" to 15"?? its a NCH-30 englander.

SKip
I think it's probably because the most heat comes out of the center of the stove sides, not as much out of the corners, so they can be closer to a wall.

less radiant surface area concentrating on even a smaller exposed area. From the stove corner and on, the angle and distances increase significantly from there.

Stoves put out radiant heat like the sun. The radiant heat waves are more intense going from one parallel surface to another as opposed to radiating at an angle. Regardless, the stoves are tested in a test lab under specified procedures with heat sensors on the wall and that's where they get the clearance that you have to comply with.

Status
Not open for further replies.