Corona Virus

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The health care workers are at risk for 2 reasons....... 1. The obvious, exposure. Working with and around the infected of covid-19.
2. Lack of training for infectious disease control. This is NO fault of the workers. Healthcare staff contract infectious disease at work because they have made a mistake. The equipment is in place, an error is made using it.

I cannot believe the stories my wife has with her experience at work thus far. Staff have limted experience or training of dealing with a disease of this infectious Calibre. They need to do mass training (in a extreme hurry) in order to protect the care workers. 80% of infection is caused with removal of the ppe. The assumption that " I'm a Frontline worker, I'm going to get it" is proof. This statement is driven by fear, that's driven from lack of training in this field. Again not blaming the workers who are in this situation. They should be demanding the training. The training is not super hard or intense, it's basically straight procedural. Sterile area is something they all have been trained for and can do it blindfolded in general. Infectious control is a much different concept that is not known by the mass of healthcare. It's not extremely hard, it's just not trained. Covid-19 is a different beast than the world has seen in healthcare . There is a 20% infection rate amongst our Frontline help and this is a tragedy that CAN be stopped/significantly reduced with some training.

Reactions: mrd1995
Yur numbers must be way off . No way we have 62000 positive cases out of 90000 tests.That would be a 66% positive rate. Last i read the positive number was 10% of the tests taken . That would put the tested number closer to 600000. But we do need nationwide testing if we ever want to go back to work or out in public anytime soon.
"According to the American Enterprise Institute, which started a tracker of America’s testing capacity, the country could carry out 36,810 tests a day as of March 16. That total was expected to rise until it hit 100,000 or more per day as of March 27".
Still not enough yet IMO.
It's hard to get accurate numbers. That was slightly out of date info from the CDC website.
Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 5.00.20 PM.png
We were up to 103,945 tests done by March 19th by this measure.
Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 4.57.27 PM.png

Then this article says -
As of March 24, just over 350,000 people have been tested in the US—about 1 in 943.

But the source they used says the current number positive and negative combined is 472,820.
You can see that even they are having a hard time in some states with getting accurate numbers.

What is disturbing is that one can't go to the CDC to get this information. Or maybe I am not looking in the right location.

Last edited:
Just joined those that are :furloughed" .

This is the most current data from the site. The fact that we had tested less than 26,000 by March 15th, a month and a half after declaring a national health emergency, is troubling.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 5.10.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 5.10.49 PM.png
    276.1 KB · Views: 136
It's hard to get accurate numbers. That was slightly out of date info from the CDC website.
What is disturbing is that one can't go to the CDC to get this information. Or maybe I am not looking in the right location.
Just heard 432000 on the news but who knows with the news today. That would be inline with the 62000 cases and a 10 to 20% positive rate.

Got some insight from my son today who works at Tyson Warehouse has to how they are handling it in Pa. He said everyones temp is taken when they show up for work ,anyone who is over a certain temp is sent home and urged to get tested and can stay off as long as necessary. The plant is working full steam ahead ,about 3 out of 100 off so far.

Last edited:
The rest of the world would love to get along with you guys, but here's another example of a sociopathic government not playing nice in the sand box. WTF, and you wonder why China won't help you out?

Can we still call chinese food "chinese food " or is that racist too. China already help us to 1000 dead by denying it existed for a month or more. Get ready for some serious backlash against china,the world will not so easily forgive as the US left wing media does once this is over. Italy for one.

Last edited:
Can we still call chinese food "chinese food " or is that racist too. China already help us to 1000 dead by denying it existed for a month or more. Get ready for some serious backlash against china,the world will not so easily forgive as the US left wing media does once this is over. Italy for one.
We own part of this as we screwed ourselves by pulling out the CDC frontline epidemiologist last July that was stationed in China. Stop the xenophobic, political crap or get out of the thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
As someone who does math for a living, I’ll just say that “hell is coming” article is based on some very highly leveraged numbers. It is very unlikely his numbers will be anywhere near accurate, based on extrapolation of an exponential function where the base is assumed as an invalidated fraction of the current death count, but that doesn’t matter since his underlying point is in fact correct. The number of cases today is likely more accurately counted as some fraction of the current death toll, which is very close to his predicted number as of today, and likely many times higher than the official estimates.

And how long did our leaders dismiss it as no more than the common flue?

Idaho went on lockdown today. Somehow firearms businesses are essential. I'd rather be furloughed than fubared.

I was talking to a friend who's child works in an Amazon warehouse, she would normally be involved with making sure the workers are healthy. She has had a very minor case of asthma over the years but she cannot go into work as they are are spraying so much disinfectants into the warehouse that she cant breathe.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 110
I was talking to a friend who's child works in an Amazon warehouse, she would normally be involved with making sure the workers are healthy. She has had a very minor case of asthma over the years but she cannot go into work as they are are spraying so much disinfectants into the warehouse that she cant breathe.
That’s a shame for her, but with Amazon becoming the primary lifeline for so many right now to do their shopping while keeping with stay at home orders, I’m glad to hear Amazon is at least making some efforts to disinfect their product wrappings and containers.

From an ER RN central WI.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200326-063322_2.png
    Screenshot_20200326-063322_2.png
    225.9 KB · Views: 177
Feeling compelled to join this conversation. My daughter is a nurse. She has been keeping mom and dad in the loop daily as we have kept her oldest here with us for a week or so.
Much like others in the health care industry are, she is working working in a insane atmosphere without proper PPE. As a mother of 3 and a wife she is terrified. The crazy part is that the restrictions put on testing possible Cov19 patients is beyond retarded. Almost impossible. The daughter got in a verbal battle yesterday with the local testing authority that resulted in her patient receiving the test. Trisha was threatened with disciplinary action or loss of her job for being insistent. She laughed in the ladies face and told her she was delusional. Fire me. Please.

Feeling compelled to join this conversation. My daughter is a nurse. She has been keeping mom and dad in the loop daily as we have kept her oldest here with us for a week or so.
Much like others in the health care industry are, she is working working in a insane atmosphere without proper PPE. As a mother of 3 and a wife she is terrified. The crazy part is that the restrictions put on testing possible Cov19 patients is beyond retarded. Almost impossible. The daughter got in a verbal battle yesterday with the local testing authority that resulted in her patient receiving the test. Trisha was threatened with disciplinary action or loss of her job for being insistent. She laughed in the ladies face and told her she was delusional. Fire me. Please.
My wife is a nurse that is thankfully staying home. We couldn't imagine being forced to work in those conditions without PPE. Just madness, threatening the lives of healthcare workers' families.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
Seven Amazon warehouse workers have already passed. They need to spray.

Status
Not open for further replies.