Cost for a venting system ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

oilcan1001

May 2, 2023
Prescott, AZ, USA
I'm a newbie here. I'm learning and looking for advice.
I want to install a new stove before winter and I called a local chimney sweep to get a bid for install. I could probably do this myself, but thought it might be safer to let a professional handle it. I was a little shocked at the cost of materials.

Does $2200 for materials for a stovepipe and chimney pipe sound normal ? His labor to install is another $800.
Also, what brand/mfr stove and chimney pipe would you seasoned guys suggest ?

TIA

I currently have a 35yr old PE installed in a single story home, 8' ceiling, then about 4-5' attic space up to the peak of my roof, with about a 3' chimney enclosure on top of that.

stove 2.JPG IMG_2868.JPG IMG_2870.JPG

Just pricing out a rough, medium quality class A setup I got $1700. Throw in singlewall or double wall for inside the house and you’d be looking at more. I didn’t include shipping, tax, or any fabrication costs.

Since we don’t know what he’s using, it doesn’t seem like his prices are that high.

Just pricing out a rough, medium quality class A setup I got $1700. Throw in singlewall or double wall for inside the house and you’d be looking at more. I didn’t include shipping, tax, or any fabrication costs.

Since we don’t know what he’s using, it doesn’t seem like his prices are that high.

If it's not too much trouble , could you provide the list of items and brand of product you priced out so I can get and idea of what is needed.
I understand it wouldn't be a comprehensive parts list but it will give me a better idea of whats involved.

I'm really good at dis-assembling and figuring out what is needed, but I'd like to have parts on hand before that point.

Also their class A pipe, 8 feet.

There have been a lot of posts with issues with this pipe. Search it and read up. But it gives you an idea on costs.

Reactions: oilcan1001
UPDATE :
A few weeks back I got an inspection from a local professional chimney sweep that seems to know his trade.
He determined that I have a 'DuraPlus modern insulated chimney' so I don't need anything there. He suggested I replace the current single wall stove pipe with a new single wall as opposed to a double wall with the reasoning that the single wall will provide more heat for the house.
Do you guys think a single wall will work for my set up ?
Less than 5' of stove pipe.

I now have my new Drolet Escape 1800 and want to finish my install.

TIA

You have a relatively short vent, so a double insulated would help with draft. I'd personally start with single and if draft were an issue switch to double. You will get way more heat off it.

Per your original question: we had a 8" dia 32' Class A chimney installed in 2021 for $4900 total. Was a tough pill to swallow.

going back through the post you have 13 feet or so of chimney, yeah, that’s a little short on total length, so I can see where double wall could really help draft if it’s an issue. On the other hand, 5 feet is typically not an issue as far as heat loss goes in a setup for singlewall.

The stove will draft better when it’s cold vs warm weather. You may find it drafts so so now, and just fine next month.

Personally, I’d try the new stove with the existing singlewall. If it works, great! Replace it with new singlewall. If you find you have draft issues, than double wall would be the first thing I’d change to fix the draft.

going back through the post you have 13 feet or so of chimney, yeah, that’s a little short on total length, so I can see where double wall could really help draft if it’s an issue. On the other hand, 5 feet is typically not an issue as far as heat loss goes in a setup for singlewall.

The stove will draft better when it’s cold vs warm weather. You may find it drafts so so now, and just fine next month.

Personally, I’d try the new stove with the existing singlewall. If it works, great! Replace it with new singlewall. If you find you have draft issues, than double wall would be the first thing I’d change to fix the draft.
Thanks for this advice. I didn't know that a double wall would assist draft.
If I do need to go double wall will I need to change the support box to the ceiling ?
You have a relatively short vent, so a double insulated would help with draft. I'd personally start with single and if draft were an issue switch to double. You will get way more heat off it.

Per your original question: we had a 8" dia 32' Class A chimney installed in 2021 for $4900 total. Was a tough pill to swallow.
That's a very big pill indeed !!!

Maybe the telescoping section on the bottom of the chimney. I’m not sure.
I've been researching and it looks like I would need and adapter for the stove side and a different one for the chimney side.
This video explains it all....

I burned 1 small fire with single wall and it seemed ok, but I had to leave the air wide open or the flame would go out. I'm waiting for it to get colder to burn again.
In the meantime I have a question......If I stayed with a single wall but added 2' of chimney (outside on top) is it possible to get too much draft ?

13 feet now going to 15 feet? No problem at all with that. It’ll help you with draft for sure. 15 feet is the minimum for many stoves.

What is the moisture % of your wood?

13 feet now going to 15 feet? No problem at all with that. It’ll help you with draft for sure. 15 feet is the minimum for many stoves.

What is the moisture % of your wood?
Drolet specs are 12ft minimum. I prefer to have some leeway but don't want to get into an overdraft situation.
I haven't checked moisture content since I cut and split the pine at the beginning of summer but I'm confident it's good to go. I have about 1 cord of juniper/elm/citrus mix left over from last winter that is plenty dry.
edit- I burn whatever I can get for free
IMG_3305.JPG

Drolet specs are 12ft minimum. I prefer to have some leeway but don't want to get into an overdraft situation.
I haven't checked moisture content since I cut and split the pine at the beginning of summer but I'm confident it's good to go. I have about 1 cord of juniper/elm/citrus mix left over from last winter that is plenty dry.
edit- I burn whatever I can get for free
View attachment 317389

Moisture meters are cheap. Many people feel there wood is good and its not. Its better to check and make sure.. know its good and rule the wood out as a variable that may be making the stove running not as optimal as it could..

Moisture meters are cheap. Many people feel there wood is good and its not. Its better to check and make sure.. know its good and rule the wood out as a variable that may be making the stove running not as optimal as it could..
I have a moisture meter, just haven't checked my newest inventory yet.
The wood (I burned) left over from last year is 15%

Explain you're procedure for using your moisture meter.
Grab a split log, split it further and test with meter prongs going parallel to the grain.
I will test at 2-3 places on the log and test 2-4 logs from different places in the stack.

Furthermore, I just tested a few older pieces left over from last winter and some newer pine from this summer and my meter shows some at 10% and some at a big ZERO moisture..... hmmmm ?

My meter registers when I touch it and if I dip it in soil so It seems to be working

Reactions: moresnow
You may still be seeing room temperatures outside in AZ, lol
We are definitely still getting room temps outside. High was 71 today but cooler temps are around the corner.
It's been a very dry monsoon season this year so my wood is ready.

When it's 45 or colder outside, draft should be notably stronger.