Costs you did not consider before heating by wood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bster13

Minister of Fire
Feb 24, 2012
CT
Just starting a thread for newbies considering getting into this while this is fresh on my newbie mind. :p

- Stove Insert
- Install
- Hearth extension/pad
- Humidifier
- Fans to move heat
- Ash pan & shovel or ash vacuum
- Welding gloves or similar to handle hot wood
- Magnetic thermostats for stove pipe
- Sooteater or chimney sweeps
- Firestarters (unless u keep kinding/newspaper)
- tarps or coverings for wood stacks
- Ax, hatchet, sledge & wedge, Maul, etc.
- work gloves for handling wood
- Logsplitter
- ATF fluid for splitter
- chainsaw
- chain sharpener
- eye protection
- helmet
- ear protection
- cutting pants/chaps
- steel toed or sturdy boots
- bar oil
- dedicated gas can for mixed oil/gas
- 2-stroke oil
- rake and paper yard bags for sawdust and shrapnel
- If not delivered for free, there's the expense of the truck needed to go out and get wood. Tires, insurance, fuel
- replacement CATs over time if using CAT stove
- Building Permits
- Insurance Premiums
- Metal trash bin for outside ash storage
- 4-wheeler, winch, cart, pickup truck... for moving wood to your splitting area.
- Wheelbarrow or yard cart for transporting wood from stack to stack.

Did I forget anything? Just trying to make sure folks new to the hobby/means of heating are fully aware of the startup costs to factor into their payoff time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluezx636
If not delivered for free, there's the expense of the truck needed to go out and get wood. Tires, insurance, fuel.
Most important: the beer needed to stay hydrated during splitting.

Reactions: lazeedan and flhpi
One thing I didn't consider was the cost of a pissed off girlfriend because I spend too much time in the woods. I upgraded a couple of years ago and haven't had trouble since.

I figure the cost of burning wood goes up and my utilities go down. Then there is the self reliance factor, power goes out and I am relaxed at the house and many people I know are scrambling. Factor in the gym membership I don't have to buy and I am happy with the cost of burning.

If I had to buy everything at once I would feel it but I am a do it DIY'er and a lot of the gear I have anyway for other chores I need to do.

I guess the payoff time comes quick if storm hits and the family it warm and safe. From just a money stand point it could really deter some people from getting into burning.

flhpi
That is one heavy load of wood in that truck. Doesn't seem to be sagging at all.

The truck touched the overload springs but it really doesn't sag. It has a slight rake unloaded so it looks level when loaded down. The 3/4 ton with the same size load really sagged and wallowed on bumps. I am happy with it so far.

The trip to the emergency room to get the leg sewed up. Wood shed. The next stove(s). Eight years worth of time on hearth.com.

Not everyone who burns wood for heating their living space harvests, bucks, or even splits their own wood. Your list would seem to indicate you get log-length and process it...otherwise, you left off all the equipment needed to go get it and bring it home. I think everyone's list is probably a bit different. Rick

Reactions: PapaDave
Good one. Added .

If not delivered for free, there's the expense of the truck needed to go out and get wood. Tires, insurance, fuel.
Most important: the beer needed to stay hydrated during splitting.

Now, list the positives.
I think it's at the very least, a wash.
I only use gloves while processing wood, not to load the stove, and I don't reach in and handle hot, burning firewood.
My chainsaw came with a chain sharpener. It's called a file.:cool:
The chainsaw, fuel, and bar oil all contribute to not paying premium prices for c/s/d wood. Not to mention the savings in other fuel costs.
I'll stop here. You have a good list, but it sounded a bit on the negative side to me and quite a bit of that stuff can be accumulated over time rather than all at once.
Silver linings.

Reactions: NortheastAl
Well costs are generally seen as negative. Each person's situation is different, but trying to get a decently comprehensive list of ~potential~ costs in case there is someone looking over the forum thinking "All I need is a chainsaw and a stove and I'm all set!"

All is not a negative if one considers the health benefits of exercise and some fresh air.

Reactions: Mr A
Cost can be balanced by savings.
There are positives to burning and all this stuff we do to burn wood.
The reasons for the cost are important, not just the cost itself.
It's true that all those things cost, but generally that cost is recouped many times over it's cost. After that, it's all money in the bank.:cool:
Sometimes, ya' gotta' spend to save. It's all gooder.

"Eight years worth of time on hearth.com." Not sure how to recoup that.;lol

Reactions: BIGDADDY
I'm not arguing that there is a benefit, I'm just merely making a list for other newbies to consider that I did not fully know about until now.

Reactions: PapaDave
Agreed on the car collecting. *sigh*

100_0432.jpg

I didn't figure on how cheap the house would be to heat once the burner on my oil boiler was switched to NG. I love starting the fire, but if it was pure economics, NG is cheaper than wood if you have to move it any distance to your property or buy it. Burning wood isn't always about the economics of it though.

I totally hear you as I have NG as well. My payoff will be ~6yrs....but a nice problem to have I suppose.

I didn't figure on how cheap the house would be to heat once the burner on my oil boiler was switched to NG. I love starting the fire, but if it was pure economics, NG is cheaper than wood if you have to move it any distance to your property or buy it. Burning wood isn't always about the economics of it though.

I never really considered the "cost before heating with wood" For me it was more like the "price of admission" I love everything about it so I would probably pay more to heat with wood than some other way. It is psychotherapy for me.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.