Costs you did not consider before heating by wood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One can always buy most of the gear used at greatly reduced expense...even the stove.

I love the fact that I use the sledge that my Dad used to break up the old basement floor....I remember watching him when I was a young child. I use his wheelbarrow that he made, and his saws...they all remind me of him, yet another enjoyable aspect of wood gathering for me.
And the wood I gather is mostly fallen trees on the property my great grandfather bought and gave to my grandmother, who gave it to my mother, who gave it to me. Admittedly, the last is lucky, but most of the other things anyone can either find in their basement or shed, or buy used for very little.

Reactions: BIGDADDY and HDRock
I never really considered the "cost before heating with wood" For me it was more like the "price of admission" I love everything about it so I would probably pay more to heat with wood than some other way. It is psychotherapy for me.;)

I don't care about the money. It's my hobby

I love every aspect of this except for stacking. tfdchief sums up my thoughts perfectly, "price of admission", it's worth every penny for me. A day on the trigger of the saw is some of the best therapy around!

When you're on propain the payback doesn't take long, I broke even less than 2 seasons in.

Reactions: NortheastAl
I love every aspect of this except for stacking. tfdchief sums up my thoughts perfectly, "price of admission", it's worth every penny for me. A day on the trigger of the saw is some of the best therapy around!

When you're on propain the payback doesn't take long, I broke even less than 2 seasons in.

I like splitting with a maul when I can get them on the first whack. That's my favorite part.

There are added expenses to anything really. Seeing that car its no wonder you are worried about getting a new hobby...;)
Most of those things on your list I had before getting a stove...my stove was much more of an expense than I figured It would be thou.
When you live in a mild climate like I do you will not see very much savings, but I like wood burning and the stove heats like crazy
compared to my old fireplace.. I do agree that its not cheap to get into wood burning...for most of us its a hobby.

There are added expenses to anything really. Seeing that car its no wonder you are worried about getting a new hobby...;)
Most of those things on your list I had before getting a stove...my stove was much more of an expense than I figured It would be thou.
When you live in a mild climate like I do you will not see very much savings, but I like wood burning and the stove heats like crazy
compared to my old fireplace.. I do agree that its not cheap to get into wood burning...for most of us its a hobby.

It's cold enough where I am that it's a very useful hobby, but still is not a cost savings over natural gas for me. I would say as I've pointed out in other threads, I would never be that warm if I was paying for the furnace.

My fishing hobby costs me money I'll never get back, even with the occasional striped bass.

The wood hobby at least has a chance of breaking even. I'm still optimistic I'll get ahead one day...even with the stove upgrade I'm about to do.

Reactions: pen
One can always buy most of the gear used at greatly reduced expense...even the stove.
Very, Very true ,most anything U need can be had used, in good shape, If U spend the time to seek it out, including PPE.
I have purchased thousands of dollars worth of the things I need for burning and processing wood , for a few hundred bucks,all total, including my stove
And then there are the things you can fabricate yourself

My wife and I just purchased our first home in the middle of nowhere. No natural gas. Baseboard heating below huge bay windows on a 2000sq foot rancher. We moved in April this past year in Michigan. Our first 46 days of electricity cost 365$ to keep the house freezing @ like 59degrees so the pipes didn't freeze and we used the electric blanket and dogs to keep warm. To keep the house warmer but still cold ~65 would have easily been 400-500/month.

So I spent 4k on new stove, professional install, and ordered 6 chords of log length hard wood and split/stacked it in April. Finally burned the stove in the other night (low of 36). Stayed 74 degrees in the upper level (stove in in the basement level, was about 84 down there). I still don't know how much wood we are going to go through this winter I am hoping less than the 6 chords but it could be more. But to keep the house toasty warm if we use 1 chord a month will be ~100 dollars in heating costs instead of 400-500 and that is to keep it substantially more warm as well and keep the old woman happy.

Anyway, If everything factors in right the stove pays for itself in 3 winters. I also get 300 back from the energy tax credit this tax year.

Nothing beats the chainsawing, splitting, and stacking for me so far, it is something I did as a child as we heated with wood and was very excited to start again now. And frankly the heat and ambiance is so much more....bourbon consumption worthy. Lots of homebrewed cold beer to get me through the summer chopping and splitting. Lots more bourbon as i sit by the fire and watch the snow come down in winter.

Many of my co-workers look at me crazy and can't understand how i get pleasure out of manual labor. I look at them crazy and can't understand how they so strongly desire a sedentary life style.

But as for the original poster there weren't to many unsurprising costs....

Stove - catalytic (burning efficiently with less wood was extremely important in stove choice for us, also made it significantly more expensive for stove purchase)

Stove pipe - we ran it up an existing mason chimney

Professional install of stove and pipe - I would and could have done this myself, but our home insurance dictated we purchase a NEW stove, from a STOVE dealer, and have it installed by a LICENSED AND INSURED installer. I wasn't going to mess with the home insurance company on this one. At least i get the 300 dollar tax return

chainsaw - already mentioned (299$ for an echo 18inch bar...its been going strong. No horror story...yet).

maul - already mentioned (30$)

splitting wedges - I have two ~10.00 a peice

Stove thermometer - already mentioned (was about 20$)

Stove gloves - already mentioned but got a deal at a men's consignment shop on mine for 7$

I don't really count the gas can, bar oil, and oil mixutre. I mean to cut up 6 chords of log length wood cost maybe 10 dollars in gas, 8 dollars for a 1 gallon can, 10$ for a gallon of bar oil i still haven't emptied, and oil mixture was like 8$? But that is still like 40$

I still am not ready to move up to purchasing a gas splitter yet. But it did cost me 100$ to rent one from home depot for 24 hours. I was able to split about 4 chords in a day with me and my wife. The last two i finished by hand. We potentially could have gotten through all 6 chords but towards the end of the day I dropped a 100lb on my foot hiking it over to the splitter and thought I had broken it and we stopped when I couldn't stand on it anymore...I did get an x-ray but no charges were incurred for said trip to urgent care the next day :p.

All in all the big one time purchases are over except for more wood. And while it hurt shelling out for the stove and install, having an electric bill that is only 100$ a month in winter is much more palatable then one that is 400-500 and you have a cold unhappy significant other mad that you purchased an ice house as your first house.

Crap this was way longer than i expected.

One big thing was missed.

I had to start with a chimney. Let me tell you, 24' of 8", class "A" adds up quick. Many with chimneys already, still need a liner. May not apply to all, but surely to a lot of us.

I agree with the price of admission.

No propane, $70 less in electric from not running the furnace fan, and the fact that a chainsaw is cheaper than a shrink to keep me sane......priceless.

I'll recover my investment soon enough, until then I'll just kick back and enjoy this awesome warmth I have in my house.

My Oil bill would currently be $3.55 /Gallon * 850 Gallons = $3,017.
I have been burning scrounged wood for about 7 years with fluctuating oil prices.

I doubt my investment required to burn wood comes close to $21,119 :)

Reactions: ColdNH and HDRock
I'm 4 years ahead on firewood and my daughter starts high school next year, after which we will be selling this great big white whale.

The hobby is winding down. It was worth it.

I'm 4 years ahead on firewood and my daughter starts high school next year, after which we will be selling this great big white whale.

The hobby is winding down. It was worth it.
:confused:

Living in a diminishing rural home I'd own most of the tree damage equipment anyway .
My wood comes from my own lot.
My largest expense is probably processing to firewood labor.

Reactions: Huntindog1
Outside of the stove install - I started with a $20 used chainsaw and a pickup truck that I already owned. Split for quite some time with the old axe that sat in the corner of the shop. You don't have to go overboard to get into this wood burning thing. Going overboard is a choice (and one that I made several years ago. ;lol)

My Oil bill would currently be $3.55 /Gallon * 850 Gallons = $3,017.
I have been burning scrounged wood for about 7 years with fluctuating oil prices.

I doubt my investment required to burn wood comes close to $21,119 :)

I think for those stuck with oil heat (no gas in my town) or electric, the savings add up faster. I easily spent 4,000$ in oil last year.

Absolutely, Oil & Propane would be a no brainer from a pure cost standpoint.

Absolutely, Oil & Propane would be a no brainer from a pure cost standpoint.

I would've personally never looked to wood heat if I had NG, with Propain spending 3-4K a year turned into a joke quickly. Now that I've heated with wood if I moved to a home with NG or had NG brought down the road I would still continue to heat with wood since I enjoy it.

I kinda wanted the winter hobby, and I knew the payoff time with NG would be much longer. But so long as I expected to be in the house longer than the payoff time, I was game. I also like the renewable resources aspect and also the payoff time will be sooner than I calculate as I kept the house relatively cool on NG and I could only fight that battle so long with the thermostat with the wife. :p

Mine paid for itself the first year full year of burning.
I was paying around $550 a month for propain avg. (Nov-May), Some months Jan, Feb I paid over $900 a month.
Now, at the most I pay about $500 a year for propane (Cooking + Heat + Rental + Delivery Costs ).

I would've personally never looked to wood heat if I had NG, with Propain spending 3-4K a year turned into a joke quickly. Now that I've heated with wood if I moved to a home with NG or had NG brought down the road I would still continue to heat with wood since I enjoy it.
Short n sweet but , NG is not cheaper than free wood

Depends on how you value your time and effort as well as how long you plan to stay in a NG home. If "not for long" the payoff time is not there.
Short n sweet but , NG is not cheaper than free wood

Depends on how you value your time and effort as well as how long you plan to stay in a NG home. If "not for long" the payoff time is not there.
Depends on a lot more than that , many, many variables, including , and , many others
Did U pay for installation , did U pay for ,top dollar for new stove, my time and skills are my asset

Status
Not open for further replies.