Country Comfort insert drafting questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bholler, It sounds like you know what you're talking about so I retract my statement.:) My info was from a discussion with a Duravent service tech, so it may be based on best practices, or their requirements for liability with single wall flex. I would agree to cut out the damper first to round and keep bends to a minimum. I used an oval-flex 4ply ss pipe through the damper in my case as the stove outlet adapter is oval as well as issue of opening distance from the lintel. I ran the rest as single wall oval flex and insulated the whole pipe, required an overly-expensive oval brush. BTW Squeaky if you do insulate, check clearances with the added pipe circumference— I had a heck of a time stuffing the heavy, insulated pipe down the chimney! As to the pipe diameter, the stove was engineered to work with 8 inch, so I don't know what will happen w 6 inch. If you have enough clearance to run 8, I would.

With an undersized pipe you will not have enough volume of air moving for the stove to work as designed and it can cause lots of problems. I am curious mitre what is 4ply pipe i have never heard of it and i am curious. I would always go with round when possible smoke travles through round much better than oval. And an 8" pipe ovalized does not have the same volume as an 8" round we usually up size one size when we need to ovalize so for an 8" we would use a 9" pipe.

I'm not exactly sure... It's their heaviest flex pipe. They call it 4-ply, but I think its really just uninsulated double wall and it has a smooth interior. I probably would have gone with single wall flex all the way up, but I got a great deal from a local supply co unloading their 8 inch stuff.

I have a cc300. And have an extra never used stainless steel oval to 8 inch round adaptor. Oval is 4 5/8 X 10 5/8. Fits in perfectly let me know if interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.