Covering Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nate...with summers that don't reach 70, it currently @ almost sub zero temps and with wind storms that almost rip your roof the hell off, can I ask why you live where you do?

Stax said:
Nate...with summers that don't reach 70, it currently @ almost sub zero temps and with wind storms that almost rip your roof the hell off, can I ask why you live where you do?

Good question :zip:

Call me crazy but I like it here.

I don't mind at all summers being mild temps. The days are long and a 65* day is perfect to work all day long.

I do hate the wind, but at least it's not ALL winter. We get several bad windstorms each winter and the rest of the time it's not bad.

Not Crazy at all.

The saying here for the wind, the people in Palmers say: "Wasilla Sucks"
The saying here for the wind, the people in Wasilla say: "Palmer Blows"

I live in between so either or, I get the wind. LOL :)

I just wait until the wind stops & go pic up stuff that was once in Palmer.
Got several tarps last year :)
The High school rivalry is strong, pretty clean, most of the time.

Summers are Great, Daylight all the time, never too hot, salmon are running, lots of wildlife, great scenery.
Winter is fun too, you can go just about anywhere on a snow machine. Northern lights are visible allot.
Or just enjoy a warm fire. :)

Besides, somebody has to do it. Might as well make it fun. :)

ansehnlich1 said:
Rubber roofing, cut 24 inches wide, on top, works like a charm.

I also put plywood/osb cutoffs on top the woodpile, just pieces spaced apart, and then put the rubber roofing on TOP of that....gives a nice flat surface for the cement block to sit on, guaranteed no blowing off unless hurricaine winds come along.

My son is a roofer so I get all the old rubber roofing material I need. He cuts it into 60" sheets and rolls them up.
I use a staple gun to secure the rubber on the sides of the stacks. Never had any blow off and it lasts for years.
2011wood.jpg

I've had good luck with the cheapo retail tarps... they last for a few years, more if I don't stress them improperly when tying them down. When they start to fail, they're used one last time to catch wax shavings from my snowboard during the ski season. I don't have nearly the gale-force winds that some of the other posters here seem to have though.

Big V, that much wood would heat my house for like seven years, seriously.

Well giving up on covering.

Went out today to see the damage from this last storm. Been working a 6PM-6AM shift all this week so didn't have a chance.

The OSB covering was a fail. I had lashed it down every 6-7 feet across the top down to the pallets. Each sheet was also screwed together to the next, so it was like one big sheet. It was also covered with a bunch of uglies and about a foot of snow.

Well most of that mess is gone now. Only thing that remains is a couple sheets of OSB that were directly under the ropes.

Like I said, there is NO way a tarp would hold up. I can't even get 1/2" thick OSB that weighs ~40lbs a sheet to hold up.

Time to start thinking about a woodshed? . . . well maybe thinking about this in the Spring would make more sense.

Here's what I did...

I do have a wood shed and she's filled to the brink. So I got more wood stacked next to it.. 16' away, I put a 2*4*10 three feet in the ground and cemented it in. I ran a steel cable from the side of the wood shed to the 2*4 and pulled the cable tight using a come-along (gently, as I didn't want to snap the 2*4, just make sure the cable is TIGHT).

I then drape a tarp up and over the cable, which then drapes over ALL of the wood and onto the ground.. Think of it as a shower curtain..

Snow, rain, and all water simply runs off the tarp and slides on down to the ground. My wood is stacked on 2" PVC so it's off the ground - that dirt hasn't had a drop of rain on it for over a year now..

And the wood shed of course is reading less than 10% MC.. Yeah for me. :)

That would last about 5 mins here with the wind. Hopefully the tarp would just shred apart, because otherwise it would either rip that post out of the ground or tear down the whole wood shed.

NATE379 said:
I'm just going to leave the wood uncovered.

+1 you talked your self into it Nate. :lol: I've never covered my wood. although i keep about 3 weeks worth on my porch so that helps. tarps and covering the stacks just seem to be a pain in the azz IMHO

ohio woodburner said:
NATE379 said:
I'm just going to leave the wood uncovered.

+1 you talked your self into it Nate. :lol: I've never covered my wood. although i keep about 3 weeks worth on my porch so that helps. tarps and covering the stacks just seem to be a pain in the azz IMHO

+2 - I'm sure you'll be fine - and you won't lose anymore tarps!

Okay, so for those of you who do not cover your stacks, does it take you any longer to season your wood than the others? Do you have a place that you move your wood to in the days/weeks before you burn it? We have a spot in our basement where we could store up to a cord. If we left our stacks uncovered and just moved some into the basement periodically as we needed it, do you think we'd get the MC down to where we want it? Still feels weird to consider not covering the stacks outside, but I have to admit, I love the look of the stacks without anything on them and the prospect of dealing with tarps blowing away and just how to weigh them down is sounding even more daunting to me. If I tell hubby that I think we should just leave the stacks uncovered, he's going to scoff at me. Any data available to help me convince him? Thanks a bunch!

i seldom have issues with my tarp coming off. All i do is throw a few strategic bricks on top of the tarp and it stays on just fine. After a really windy day i might have to go straighten and tuck a bit. My biggest issue is stacks tipping over.

Good to hear...we just tied down our current tarps and they seem to be holding ok - it was a super windy day so it was a great day to see how they would hold. Still hoping to build a woodshed in the next year or so. Glad to hear I'm not the only one to come home to a stack that has tipped too! What dismay...

Status
Not open for further replies.