Covid scare

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wishlist

Minister of Fire
Mar 28, 2011
Corunna, Michigan
Lost my Uncle few weeks ago to heart issues . No not covid .
Visitation and the funeral were on Friday and Saturday. Not a extremely large gathering, maybe 40-50 people .
I was careful along with the rest of my immediate family to limit close contact . It’s hard at a time like this but for the most part we did .
Within the last week I now have 7 family members with covid , none live in my house . Fortunately I tested negative along with my sister . So far no hospitals but 4 are sick , no taste /smell headaches /extremely tired . We all have had our vaccinations so I’m grateful for that .
It really shows how this thing spreads so easily. Needless to say all Thanksgiving plans are off now for the second year in a row . I’m certainly disappointed but my family’s health comes first . We will plan something later when we can .

• Sad
Reactions: SpaceBus
Lost my Uncle few weeks ago to heart issues . No not covid .
Visitation and the funeral were on Friday and Saturday. Not a extremely large gathering, maybe 40-50 people .
I was careful along with the rest of my immediate family to limit close contact . It’s hard at a time like this but for the most part we did .
Within the last week I now have 7 family members with covid , none live in my house . Fortunately I tested negative along with my sister . So far no hospitals but 4 are sick , no taste /smell headaches /extremely tired . We all have had our vaccinations so I’m grateful for that .
It really shows how this thing spreads so easily. Needless to say all Thanksgiving plans are off now for the second year in a row . I’m certainly disappointed but my family’s health comes first . We will plan something later when we can .
I hope your family members recover and will be fine. Sorry for the loss of your uncle.

Thank you for the well wishes . Good news is my nephew is starting to get his taste and smell back . Rest of the family is still recovering but no hospitalizations so far .

Here is some helpful info on boosters and vaccination.

I've had both shots and the booster about a month ago, just like most places the cases are increasing daily in our area, we had 146 cases yesterday with a positivity rate of 8.46 percent with the people in the hospital jumping to 35 from 26.

• Sad
Reactions: begreen
Last edited:
The only incentives I’ve gotten are a free beer (I don’t drink), some free pot (I don’t smoke), and a free Krispy Kreme donut (nearest one is 200 miles away). My insurance company says I owe $35 for my first shot but I haven’t gotten a bill from the clinic yet.

One coworker tested positive on Monday along with his wife. So he’s home the rest of the week. Across from me but he’s in an enclosed glass office. However there’s one guy who spends at least a half hour at a time socializing with him in the little office. Most likely he would have it by now. Hoping to escape the scare, but this guy just came up to me about a job, and I could still smell his beef jerky breath 5 minutes later. Hopefully I don’t catch it. What kinds irks me is it wasn’t even necessary, I was copied on the same email he got.

We had 165 cases in our county on Wednesday, Thursday we had 167 cases with a positivity rate of 8.93 percent for 7 days, not good.

We have 31 people in the hospital with 144 deaths since this chit started with only 56 percent vaccinated but I'm not sure if that's fully vaccinated or just one shot.

We had planned on doing a few things that would put us inside with a crowd but we flushed that idea with the jump in cases.

Stay Safe

The only incentives I’ve gotten are a free beer (I don’t drink), some free pot (I don’t smoke), and a free Krispy Kreme donut (nearest one is 200 miles away). My insurance company says I owe $35 for my first shot but I haven’t gotten a bill from the clinic yet.

One coworker tested positive on Monday along with his wife. So he’s home the rest of the week. Across from me but he’s in an enclosed glass office. However there’s one guy who spends at least a half hour at a time socializing with him in the little office. Most likely he would have it by now. Hoping to escape the scare, but this guy just came up to me about a job, and I could still smell his beef jerky breath 5 minutes later. Hopefully I don’t catch it. What kinds irks me is it wasn’t even necessary, I was copied on the same email he got.

I believe your insurance charging you is not according to current law. These shots don't have out of pocket (ok, paid by taxation...)

I read NYC is doing better than Long Island now in terms of cases. Despite a higher population density. Same number of cases there last week despite three times the total population in NYC as compared to Long Island.

Due to higher vaccination rates and more mask wearing.

I believe your insurance charging you is not according to current law. These shots don't have out of pocket (ok, paid by taxation...)
I was thinking the same thing, I have not heard of shots costing out of pocket.

Both of us in our house are vaccinated and we both did the booster shot last week. I spoke to my other halves' brother (44 years old and healthy....used to play semi-professional hockey) over Thanksgiving and he got Covid (not vaccinated) a handful of months back and was VERY sick. He did not get checked into the hospital, but was very close to being, as he developed pneumonia from it. The doctor told him he "should" be able to kick it himself at home due to his age and health, but if it got any worse to come back. Was down for a few weeks. He believes he got it from work, as a co-worker of his ended up dying from it. They are an engineering firm and were all in an office setting. They were required to wear masks, but none of them did. Anyway, he told me he no longer has ANY sense of hunger. He just doesn't get hungry since recovering from it. He already lost 10-15 pounds since he had it because he just doesn't get hungry and just forgets to eat because nothing is "telling" him he needs to eat. He said he was at work one day out in the field pounding stakes and started shaking....then he realized he didn't eat the whole day. He has to consciously remember to eat. That would suck.

He did say he never lost his taste or smell though, weird stuff.

• Wow
Reactions: stoveliker
Anyway, he told me he no longer has ANY sense of hunger. He just doesn't get hungry since recovering from it. He already lost 10-15 pounds since he had it because he just doesn't get hungry and just forgets to eat because nothing is "telling" him he needs to eat. He said he was at work one day out in the field pounding stakes and started shaking....then he realized he didn't eat the whole day. He has to consciously remember to eat. That would suck.

He did say he never lost his taste or smell though, weird stuff.
Now that is one cruel and lousy Covid side effect I never heard of: loosing your sense of hunger. I can't imagine not craving all my favorite foods! I live for my Spicy Buffalo wings and Italian Subs!

Last edited:
Strange indeed. Though I would better like to lose my hunger feeling (and set calendar alerts) than loose my taste permanently...

Last edited by a moderator:
No hunger is normal for me but not from Covid, just lifelong digestive issues. I basically just eat to survive. I can’t eat most things anyway, and what I can eat I have to grind. I’m used to it. It’s kinda nice in a way because I never feel hungry on a road trip, or when having to fast before medical procedures. Or when working on something important. I don’t get turned on by food and have no desire to go to restaurants, so I save money that way.

Loss of smell would be what I’d hate. Not being able to smell smoke, gas, exhaust, leaking fluids, etc. Could be deadly.

I become more confused by this everyday. Less than 50% of the people in Idaho have been vaccinated. How have the unvaccinated managed not to catch this? You would think they would be dropping like flies, but according to what I have seen online the infection rate is dropping in Idaho. Furthermore, a good portion of those infected have been vaccinated. I do not understand.

With no neighbors for a couple of miles, and only going to town for grub every 3-4 weeks, and only early in the morning at the 24 hour grocery, I think I have narrowed my chances of catching it. But why are those unvaccinated going about their lives like life is normal not dropping like flies? I do not understand.

Reactions: Highbeam
I become more confused by this everyday. Less than 50% of the people in Idaho have been vaccinated. How have the unvaccinated managed not to catch this? You would think they would be dropping like flies, but according to what I have seen online the infection rate is dropping in Idaho. Furthermore, a good portion of those infected have been vaccinated. I do not understand.

With no neighbors for a couple of miles, and only going to town for grub every 3-4 weeks, and only early in the morning at the 24 hour grocery, I think I have narrowed my chances of catching it. But why are those unvaccinated going about their lives like life is normal not dropping like flies? I do not understand.
Where are you getting your info that "a good portion of those infected have been vaccinated." ?
According to a recent local news report, "Only 1.75% of fully vaccinated Idahoans have experienced a breakthrough COVID-1 case".

Last edited:
As long as the government keeps changing the definition of fully vaccinated, is there really a figure that represents the number of fully vaccinated people catching covid?
Logically speaking, reduced to the absurd if 5 out of 10 people today are fully vaccinated by the governments defifinition, and later this afternoon they change the definition dropping the number of fully vaccinated to1 out of 10, neither definition is valid.
Hence my confusion, if someone has taken the one dose shot they are vaccinated. Making them retake the shot every other day does not mean they were not vaccinated on the days they did not get a shot. It's all word games with no one really knowing what is going on. It is like Charlie Brown and Lucy. Did Charlie miss the football, or did Lucy move the football? Am I fully vaccinated, or did the football get moved? The low breakthrough number for the fully vaccinated you are supplying is saying Charlie missed, when really Lucy moved the football. That is why I do not understand. The only safe option I see is a hermitage. Any other option is a committment to take the shot every couple of hours if told it is necessary.

The government has not changed the definition of "fully vaccinated" ever since January. Two weeks after the second shot (and I don't know how many weeks after one j and j shot).

Any and all requirements are based on that definition. The booster shots are not taken into account in the answer to a question who is fully vaccinated at this time.

The definition has been the same for about a year.

As long as the government keeps changing the definition of fully vaccinated, is there really a figure that represents the number of fully vaccinated people catching covid?
Logically speaking, reduced to the absurd if 5 out of 10 people today are fully vaccinated by the governments defifinition, and later this afternoon they change the definition dropping the number of fully vaccinated to1 out of 10, neither definition is valid.
Hence my confusion, if someone has taken the one dose shot they are vaccinated. Making them retake the shot every other day does not mean they were not vaccinated on the days they did not get a shot. It's all word games with no one really knowing what is going on. It is like Charlie Brown and Lucy. Did Charlie miss the football, or did Lucy move the football? Am I fully vaccinated, or did the football get moved? The low breakthrough number for the fully vaccinated you are supplying is saying Charlie missed, when really Lucy moved the football. That is why I do not understand. The only safe option I see is a hermitage. Any other option is a committment to take the shot every couple of hours if told it is necessary.
You are talking as though there has been a "pre-approved script" for handling a pandemic. The rules of the game change as the virus mutates and so must the science. Vaccination effectivity wanes with time, hence the need for the booster and as Stoveliker pointed out, booster shots are not currently taken into account in the definition for fully vaccinated.

Yes these definitions may change but that is to be expected.

Reactions: johnbayslee
Where are you getting your info that "a good portion of those infected have been vaccinated." ?
According to a recent local news report, "Only 1.75% of fully vaccinated Idahoans have experienced a breakthrough COVID-1 case".

I’ve been seeing this for awhile. They say 30% of those hospitalized for Covid in Michigan are fully vaccinated. I’m wondering how long it will be before having a booster needed to be considered fully vaccinated.

I’ve been seeing this for awhile. They say 30% of those hospitalized for Covid in Michigan are fully vaccinated. I’m wondering how long it will be before having a booster needed to be considered fully vaccinated.
I won't be surprised if what you say becomes true: Fully vaccinated = Boosted

30% covid hospitalization rate for the vaccinated is high but a deeper dive into the data says For Michigan:
  • Approximately 1.5% of people who were fully vaccinated have been reported with a breakthrough infection

Last edited:
Reactions: tlc1976
The only way using a figure saying x% of the vaccinated have break through Covid could be a valid measurement of the effectiveness of the vaccines would be to compare that to the total percentage of the unvaccinated that have Covid. The figure in and of itself means nothing. If two people are in the hospital with Covid, one of which is vaccinated and the other not vaccinated the ratio in that hospital is one to one never mind that the vaccinated person belongs to a cohort that within itself has a lower infection rate.

Again, it is all word games. If after a few months the effectiveness of a vacine wears off, is the person fully vaccinated, or is that person some percentage of vaccinated? If I eat a meal, and am full, am I still full 10 hours later when the meal has been digested? By the govenment's use of the term fully vaccinated, I would still be full. No, when you are told you need a booster, you are told two things. First, you are not fully vaccinated, and second that due to the lack of long term data no one really knows what they are doing. They are making it up as they go along and calling that science.

One of the principles of science is that it is repeatable. If X then Y. With the vaccine the formula is more like if X then ?. And if you argue that with vaccine the formula remains X then Y then you are saying that you hope you are one of the lucky ones, and some other poor dumb buzzard suffers the negative side effects. Because the negative is going to happen to someone.

I would be over joyed if someone explained this whole pandemic, and our response to it in a rational logical manner. I apologize if I have offended someone or caused someone to start thinking. I remain confused, and unless I am willing to believe on faith I will most likely remain confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.