crackling in the pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you saw my last post you know i am paranoid...... When I open the bypass on my wood stove there is a quiet crackling in the pipe....it lasts a few seconds and goes away. I cleaned the chimney a week or so ago and didn't have much creosote in it.... Is this noise normal, or is it a sign I have a build up? I did have some creosote on the door when I put out a fire from a previous problem. The noise is identical to the crackle of a chimney fire but not nearly as loud.

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP.

Ran the search a different way and it may be normal...may be creasote build up..... So i guess I will let it go out and sweep the chimney AGAIN! I doubt that it's a problem, but I would rather be sure!

I think you are hearing minor accumulations of creosote in the lower pipe burning off. This used to happen with my woodstove regularly, sometimes orange light shone down from the chimney. I worried sometimes but it seemed to cause no harm.

are we sure its not just the pipe expanding as it starts to heat up again?

Like MrBigLog said it could just be the pipe expanding and contracting when you open the bypass because you are altering the temperature for a short time. When it stabilizes itself, the noise goes away. My stovepipe makes noise especially on startup and cool down, but it's just the metal expanding and contracting. I can understand your concern, but if you've cleaned it out properly I'm sure that it's okay. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.