Craigslist posting, might be making money to get free maple.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

k3c4forlife

Hearth Supporter
Oct 30, 2009
I posted on craigslist, looking for free downed trees, logs, and leftover firewood. Willing to put in the sweat equity for firewood.

So I get a call today, free maple tree downed 3 weeks ago. All cut to length. I originally passed it up because I needed to travel like 45min to go get it. I called back tonight and said that I would come down and take the firewood and all the leftover brush for $350. Ha, I'll let you all know if he takes it. If he doesn't, Ill get the wood I need around here.

I could definitely use a little money considering I am buying the new insert on Saturday... $350 towards a $500 insert and getting like half a cord of next year's wood for free... Could be a big turn of events.

All that brush maybe an issue if you don't have the right equipment. Make sure there ia a complete understanding about what is expected before you even start. Got into a pretty big mess not to long ago trying to help a friend of a friend. There expectations of cleanup were a little far fetched being that I was doing the work for the firewood only. Good luck!

I'd be a bit annoyed if I responded to a post saying you could have my free maple, and then you came back and asked $350. Personally I'd tell you where to go.

45min is a bit of a drive for me on the weekends. In Jersey that really means about an hour. It's going to take me 2 pick up trucks and like 3 hours for my brother and I to go down there and get everything. So you figure 6 hours, gas, tolls. Originally I told the guy no because I live so far away. I told him he can find someone closer that would take it for free and he said he couldn't find anyone.

He can't get rid of it, I'd rather be getting closer wood. Doesn't really sound like that crazy of a price when you break everything out. I can get a cord of seasoned wood, cut and split and delivered to my house for the cost of 3 hours of overtime and gas I would be saving... Sounds like win-win if he needs to get rid of it. Nothing wrong with making some money if I'm going out of my way to get down there and help him out.

We'll see.

Hey Kevin,

I saw your ad and wondered if that would generate any leads for you. I have a guy in Princeton that has some fallen smaller pin-oaks in his back yard. That's a hour drive for me one way - I'm gonna keep looking for closer wood. I may get it once the weather warms if I need to make a trip down to bridgewater for anything. Hope this works out for you. I am surprized no one local offered to take it for free?

I jsut take the firewood and do not clean up anything. I generally stack it while cutting but I will not haul it anywhere. There is plenty to be had. With fuel priced down there will be more...

It has actually generated quite a bit. I tried to get you in on a good scrounge a few weeks back Bass... A lot of people that call me have like a great story, great wood, and then they say theyre located like 10min south of Philly. Or theyre really close and have 3 pine trees. It hasnt generated any great finds yet, but this one could be epic haha. Could pay for half my insert and heat my house in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.